Chapter 3 Breakfast

Riley woke up suddenly, panting. Her alarm was ringing at it was showing time 6:32 am. She snoozed it, groaning and cuddling in the sheets again. The same dream came each day to her. But taking medicine, she could sleep properly. Maybe she had forgot to take her painkiller yesterday.

The alarm rang at 6:37 again after five minutes. This time she had to get up. She couldn't risk her brothers becoming angry. Back there, Derek always wanted his breakfast ready before he came down.

Thankfully he came home after dinner so she was saved from the afternoon beatings. But at night he was worse. She had the proof of it but couldn't tell them. Had to lie. What would they think of her? 'They will hate me' she thought. And she had to go to school. The less interaction they have, the better for her.

She got out of the bed and went into the bathroom. Geez she had to keep her sanitary products stacked. Or else it would be awkward to ask them. Maybe she should ask Maria. But for that she would have to speak to her when she comes.

'Could have taken her phone number' Riley chastised herself, but then sighed, she was pretty bad at that time.

She brushed her teeth and after 2-3 minutes of immense thinking, figured out how to use warm water for shower that too drenching herself in the process.

'I am a failure' she thought again. After a long bath, she wore her clothes to look at the time.

She had only two shirts and pants, rest were torn or ripped, showing her scars and horrible memories. She had to wear a full sleeve shirt because she had too. They might notice the red marks stretching from shoulder to elbow.

Now she had to find the way to kitchen. Trying to remember how she came upstairs. As Riley was turning around a corner, she bumped into someone. She wasn't looking up and was in a deep thinking state because hey, it took concentration to remember anything.

As soon she bumped into that figure she started to speak a apology, "sorry I was not paying attention."

"Watch where you are going sorellina" He said, smiling. Riley looked at him confused. Who was this? Maria had given her an overview but this person could be anyone. Except his voice was cheery.

'Maybe this was Myles' Once again she guessed.

"Jase just told me to bring you down in case you didn't know the way, but you seem to have figured it out" He spoke airily. And started going downstairs again.

'Didn't get his name' she cursed herself.

Taking this as her cue to follow, Riley hastily started walking behind him. If Theo was a pole, then this one was a bit shorter than him, but taller than her.

He suddenly slowed down his pace in middle and stopped, making her stop too. Derek would sometimes do this, she shut her eyes remembering his look.

"Are you all right amora?" The guy asked, bringing her back to present.

His was eying me thoughtfully, his blue eyes boring in hers hazel. "Yeah I'm right, just sleepy" She said, then remembering that she doesn't have to speak more than was asked, added, "I'm fine."

Ever tried talking to someone when you do not know their name? It happens with relatives, but Riley never knew it personally, never experienced it.

But now she knew how it feels. She laughed at her cilcheness. She was following him, looking at everything. Then in like fifteen seconds or less, they got to the kitchen again.

There were four people sitting there, one person standing near the pan cooking something. The other three were busy in their conversation until the boy in front of her cleared his throat to gain their attention. She remembered doing the same in her old school.

"Jason, we're here" At this, Jason, turned to face him and the room fell silent. His gaze turned to her, his blue eyes brightening up. Did that mean that only she had brown eyes? Because rest had blue too.

"Hey Riley" Theo waved at her as she smiled at him.

She guessed half of them were moody and half were either cheery or good in hiding emotions like her.

Jason smiled and wiped his hands on a napkin nearby, his apron still clear. He then came near where she was standing.

"Good work Myles" He said and Myles just went and sat on a chair. Then Jason turned to her.

"Hey Riley, I'm Jason and I'm your second oldest brother." He said. She carefully held out her hand, "nice to meet you Jason" She smiled shyly.

He looked at her outstretched hand and as she was about to lower it hopelessly he held it and shook it. She had to speak verbally.

"Well why don't you sit here until Alexander comes, he will be here in short" Saying this he ushered her into a chair where she was to the left of Theo, straight opposite of a guy with tattoos covering his right arm.

But it wasn't that what caught Riley's attention, it were his blue and brown eyes. They were of different colours but she forgot what it was called.

"It's not good to stare sorellina" He said, his icy tone made her shiver.

'I just wanted to say he looked amazing with them' but maybe it was hers or his misunderstanding.

"For Christ's sake Leonardo, don't blame her" Another guy spoke boredly. He was sitting next to Myles and there were two empty chairs, one for Jason and one for Alexander she guessed.

"Look who is talkin' Christopher" Jason spoke softly as he was putting dishes on table. She stood up, reflex taking in and regretting her next actions, she took two plates and kept it on the dining table, speaking, "let me help you, I've practice of this."

She had to prove she wasn't bad.

At the same time someone came through the doorway, "I hope you haven't asked for her help yourself Jason" He said in a tone of authority.

Riley looked up at him, unlike others who were like her in shirts and grey pajamas, he was wearing a royal blue suit. "I got up myself to help him, and it were only two dishes" She spoke before Jason could say anything.

"It is funny how you can defend others until end but can't defend yourself." Someone had said to her. She shook the familiar voice away and looked at the person in the suit, noticing he too, had icy blue stare.

He sat there on the chair where they all could look at him and her and Jason sat down on their respective places. The main person clasped his hands together and looked at her, it looked like he rarely ever smiled. It was her who would laugh at her own silly jokes.

'Why did monkey cross— never mind' she focused back.

"So Riley, I'm sure everyone has introduced themselves to you"

'Wait, did Theo tell him that I did not remember him? Will he send me away again?' Her mood changed suddenly again and felt her heart rate increase. Would they send her back?

"And you should get some new clothes today and then after that, you will come in my office to talk about your school. Your schooling will be resumed from next week so we have time. And as me and Jason have to go for meeting, rest boys are free, you can go with anyone" He spoke.

Wasn't what she expected, but she had to be proper. No mistakes.

"I can go with anyone" Riley said, hoping it were Theo or Myles, they were the only others who
to her nicely and didn't scare her.

"That's settled then, but I need you to come in my office sharp at 5, and I'll send someone to bring your there. Now Eat." He finished.

She hadn't eaten from a day, and her stomach was aching for food but she didn't have an appetite. They ate rest breakfast in silence as she tried to finish her plate filled with three pancakes which tasted like heaven.

➹➷➹➷➹➷

So how was the chapter? I made it long to introduce each character correctly and now you'll know how each one may treat her.