21. HiS'tory

I sat on the passenger seat of Sabina's white sedan with my seat leaning back. I felt sleepy due to the medication I was on, but the moment I noticed her colony's main gate pass, I sat up.

"We'll be fine." Sabina says to calm me down.

"Are you telling this to me or yourself?"

"I'm... Okay, I'm nervous too. I want my family to like you." She confessed.

"and if they don't."

"Hey, this is the spot where we first met." She says changing the topic as I remembered changing the tire of Ambar's mustang.

"Not technically, but I guess... you can say that..." I say to avoid talking about her past.

"I got a new lawyer. He's supposed to be the best." She says reminded of the douchebag.

"Who is it? Have I heard of him?"

"Yeah... Mr. Ravdeep Bajwa. He's Samayra's best friend Vikram's father. It's hard getting him to agree such low profile cases but he was ready in a minute and you know..."

She continues to speak as my mind goes blank.

"Avi... Avinash... We're home." She says distracting me from my thoughts.

"Oh yeah... Just... Let's go." I say and reach for the seat belt with my left hand as Sabina approaches to help me. I smile as she offers to take the car door, but I decline opening it for myself.

"Being a passenger princess is enough feminism for today." I say as she chuckles and takes my bag. She informs me that she brought some of my stuff over from my apartment already as I shake my head.

"I'm not staying here forever." I say as she shakes her head.

"We'll see." She says with a wink.

"I have my own house planned for..." I was about to say as I notice a man in a black suit sitting with Mr. Jeet in the gazebo. His salt and pepper hair were new, but the silhouette somewhat felt familiar. My steps slowed down as Sabina runs by my side to support me.

"Avi, are you okay? Is it the meds?" she says as that grasps the attention of the two men as they turn to look at us.

"Yeah, yeah... I'm fine." I say looking into the eyes of my father as no hint of recognition seems to cross him.

Well, then I'm safe.

We walk further as I was confused between either greeting Jeet or simply slipping inside. He wouldn't mind since I need the rest, but I decide not to let my past destroy my future.

"Sat sri akal, Sir..." I greeted him and join my hands as he stands up and pats my back, while I bend to touch his feet.

"Here... this is the brave officer I was talking about... SP Avinash Bajwa. And this Mr. Ravdeep Bajwa, he's the new lawyer." Jeet introduces us as I slap myself internally.

I did not think of it. How could I not think of it?

Just because he abandoned me when I was a child and doesn't recognize me, does not mean he wouldn't remember my name.

Hint of knowing and a look of shame and guilt passes over his face. I noticed, I was about two-three inches taller than him, or was it old age, shrinking his straight spine. I noticed the wrinkles and the fine lines on his face. The transparent rimmed spectacle was a new addition to his face.

He stands up and extends his right hand for a shake. I point to my right hand plastered and unable to extend as he nods and places his hand in his pocket, with a fake smile.

"Oh Yeah... Nice to meet you." He says as I nod.

"Likewise. Please don't mind I'm kinda dizzy. I should rest. See you around, sir." I say as he nods and I turn to Jeet. I didn't have to say anything as he pats my back.

"Yes, yes... Go rest, son." He says as I look at Sabina who was watching me a little too carefully.

"What is aunty making for dinner, tonight?" I ask changing the topic.

"You're on antibiotics. You can't eat anything fried or spicy." She says as I roll my eyes.

"Ahh.. Avi beta... Come in... Have a seat. I made Khaman dhokla for you and the tea will be ready in a minute." I hear Naina aunty say as I turn to Sabina and elevate by eyebrows thrice, making her groan.

"Mom, isn't dhokhla made from maida? It's hard to digest and will cause heartburn with his meds." She complains as I try to keep my good left hand on her mouth.

"Shut up. Home made food is always healthy." I hiss back at her.

"It's not cooked. It's baked and it has besan not maida, Sabina. You'd remember if you'd make anything from scratch instead of using those pre-mix packets all the time. Is this what I've taught you?" Naina aunty says walking out of the kitchen with a spatula in her hand as Sabina runs to stand behind me.

"Yeah, no... I'm not protecting you. I'm on aunty's side." I say and walk to stand behind Naina aunty.

"Don't you dare run from me. Get in the kitchen and serve him. Gina has to serve your Ravdeep uncle and your father." She says as Sabina nods and makes her way into the kitchen.

"So many times I've told her to not interfere when I'm cooking for guests. He's here for a few days, what wrong will happen if he eats some hygienic homemade food? But no... this brat has to interfere and then there's the other brat still eating my brains from 400 kms away." She says fuming.

"Is Samayra okay?" I ask, worried.

"Oh she's okay. A hundred witches had to die before she was born... My poor son-in-law called. She adopted some stray dirty diseased dog and Ambar worries that she might get something contagious. I talked to her and she said, 'mom you never let me keep a dog when I was a child, but now I can' as if I'm interfering... interfering... this little witches."

I nod my head and hug her. She didn't expect it and stiffens but then pats my back.

"You're an amazing mom. They don't tell you, because they don't know your value. But You're the best mom in the world, aunty." I say and look at her, taking a step back from the hug as her eyes brim with tears.

"Oh... my child..." she says as Sabina enters with a plate of the gujarati delight and a cup of tea.

"He's lovely, isn't he? So, how about he shifts from the guest room to mine?" Sabina says as I look at her shocked, blushing like anything as Naina looks back at forth between us. I wanted to hide my face.

"Sabbyy... When did you become so shameless. Hey Bhagwaan... Kids nowadays..." she says putting a dupatta over her face and walking towards her bedroom.

"What did you do? Why would you... She was starting to trust me." I ask shocked.

"She can trust you, I don't care. But I'm her favorite child, that ain't changing. Know your limits. Just because I like you, doesn't mean I'll let you take my spot." She says looking at me with narrowed eyes.

"But we're still fucking after they go to sleep?" I whisper.

"Obviously" She says taking a piece and laying back on the couch, seductively sucking on her thumb as I try to reach for the plate with one functional forelimb.