24. Blackmail

Avinash POV

"Mr. Bajwa." I say telling him that I know who is on the other side.

"How are you?" he asks as I get up from the dining table and leave for the lawn outside.

Better than you left me, I think to myself.

"I'm fine sir. How can I help you?" I say, not letting the emotions seep through the cracks.

"I...umm... Would you like to see me for lunch?" He says as I look around. Today would be a sunny day among the few foggy days that passed. It was 11 am and sun had plans to brighten up by noon.

"Sir, I'm sorry. I can't drive anywhe..." I was saying as he cut me off.

"I'll pick you up." He says as I shake my head as if he could see it.

"I... don't think I can go out today. With my plaster and everything. I can answer your questions on the phone. It's about the case against the Architect firm and Mr. Shah, right?" I ask as he seems to recollect it.

"Yes, yes. About the case." He says and asks me questions that were already detailed in my report. I still answered them, before hanging up. I put the phone on the table in the gazebo and looked up to see Sabina standing in the corner.

"Are you eavesdropping on me?" I ask as she shakes her head.

"I just dropped off, Danish. Did you take your meds? I was going to work and thought of taking a body guard with me." She says as I smile.

"I'll take my meds and your one-armed bodyguard will be ready in a minute." I say as she smiles as I walk inside.

I thought, she'd be upset after what happened this morning. But she is so understanding that making her upset makes me feel guilty.

I do love her.

I should have said it.

But, then what? What if she expects a wedding? I can't give her that.

No, no commitments.

++++++++++++

I sat in her car as she put the child lock from the driver's side and put into drive.

"So, let's talk." She says with a smile so evil, that I knew this was all a trap in one instant.

"You didn't want me to go to work with you?" I ask, hurt at being betrayed as she shakes her head.

"I heard you on the phone and didn't want an argument around mom, or a place where it is easy for you to leave, because it got cold or, and I quote chilly." She says sarcastically as I look out the window.

Yup, I deserved this one.

"Sabina, you should understand that..."

"I understand, Avi. I understand that you can't confess your feelings, or you're scared and in dire need of therapy for your commitment phobia and attachment issues, but I fail to understand why you wouldn't talk to your father, when he holds the answer to so many questions that have haunted you for over two decades." She says, her temper and screws a little lose.

I knew I had to tread carefully, if  I wanted to get out of this car alive.

"Sabina, ease down on the accelerator." I say politely as she shoots me a warning glare, before focusing back on the road.

"I met him yesterday, and I can't go for lunch with him, today. I... I need time to process this."

"Process what? The man you knew was alive, and in the same city is standing in front of you. Not to mention, you both deal with criminal law in your own ways. This was bound to happen. Don't tell me, this never crossed your mind. It needs guts, to reach out and your father did. Don't you dare push him away." She says as I check the seat belt for both of us, gazing at the speedometer from the side.