Just Listen

I was with Maru, we had grown really close that day and not in a relationship way. More like he was my brother.

I was telling him all about Lo'ak and how sweet he is. Ma'ru never said anything back, he just listened. Which I really appreciated.

Until I saw Lo'ak walking up to us, he looked..off. The sparkle in his eyes were not there, he had anger in his eyes.

Ma'ru turns to face Lo'ak as Lo'ak stops infront of him. Ma'ru gives Lo'ak a smile and reaches out his hand to shake it, "You must be the amazing Lo'ak I have heard so much about." He says as he grins at me, I was embarrassed that he told Lo'ak that I was talking about him.

There was silence, Ma'ru was holding his hand out, waiting for Lo'aks hand to meet his, but instead his hand met his face.

They broke out into a fight, well..it was mostly Lo'ak that was fighting. If anything, Ma'ru was just trying to get away from him.

"Stop it!" I yell, hoping that I wouldn't have to drag them away from eachother like how I had to do with Lo'ak and Aonung.

That's when Lo'ak got on top of Ma'ru, I had enough. I grabbed Lo'aks arms and yanked him off of Ma'ru.

Lo'ak looked at me with sadness and betrayal as Ma'ru slowly gathered himself off the ground.

"You are really going to defend him?" Lo'ak says to me, pulling his body away from mine, almost like he didn't want to touch me.

Ma'ru had a guilty look on his face, he was about to step in to say something but I gave him a look, I didn't want him to speak up. If Maru says anything, he might just make it worse.

"Lo'ak, if you would just listen to me! I don't like Ma'ru and he doesn't like me." I say, grabbing his hands after he pulled away from me.

He still isn't meeting my face, looking away from me.

I sigh and use my hand to pull his chin to my face.

"I like you Lo'ak, and only you...Ma'ru and I haven't decided when to tell our parents that we don't want to be together."

"Really?" He says to me in a soft voice, I see the sparkle come back to him eyes as he had a slight smile spread across his beautiful face, multiple braids hanging down to frame his face.

I nod in agreement as Lo'ak turns towards Ma'ru.

Maru backs away from him for a second.

"Hey, bro I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten on you like that." Lo'ak apologizes, holding my hand in his.

Ma'ru steps back forward and smiles, although his face looked pretty rough. "No big deal, don't worry bout it"

Lo'ak chuckles to himself. Then he squeezed my hand, pulling me towards my family's Marui with Ma'ru following close behind us.

"Lo'ak! Where are you taking us?" I say as I try to keep us, my feet sliding in the sand.

"To tell your parents that all of this over, you can't wait any longer."

Ma'ru and I look at each other with worried looks.

We finally reach my family's Marui. We walk inside and meet both families as they have confusion on their face. Until they see Ma'ru walk in and they all gasp.

"My baby! What happened to you?!" His mother asks him as she runs to him, gently touching his face to examine it.

We ignore the worry from Mary's mother and get straight to the point.

Maru and I look at each other, "we don't want to be mates with one another." Ma'ru says, finally getting it off of his chest.

"But kids-" Ronal tries to but in but I have more to say.

"My love is not Maru, it's Lo'ak. And you all are not going to force me and Maru to be together." I say calmly but determined.

My mother accepted Lo'ak and mines love for eachother awhile ago, but my father never really spoke up about it. Although, I knew that it bothered him.

I realized, maybe that's why mother didn't want me to be with Ma'ru, because she knew that father just didn't want me and Lo'ak to be together.

A smile spread across my mothers face, she was happy for me and Lo'ak. But dad wasn't too accepting.

"You and Ma'ru will be mates and that's it!"

"You really cant understand can you? I don't care if Lo'ak and I are different, I love Lo'ak. Ma'ru AND I don't want to be together, it's not just my choice!"
I tell at him, getting close to his face, looking up at him with his furrowed eyebrows and sharp eyes.

"You and Ma'ru will mate tomorrow! It's official, no changes!" He continues, he really couldn't take a hint.

"But mating means that we would be together forever! We don't want that!" Ma'ru says worried.

I agree with Ma'ru as dad orders us to leave the Marui. He had obviously had enough of our shit.

————————————————————

I was sitting with Neytiri, weaving baskets inside of her Marui. Lo'ak and Neteyam were talking over in the corner about whatever boys talk about.

Neytiri knew that something was wrong with me.

"Everything alright dear? I heard what happened..Lo'ak told me." She says to me as she continues to weave her basket, not looking at me.

"I just don't want to be with Maru for eternity, I want to be with Lo'ak." I reply as I stop weaving to look up at her and she does the same.

"Yes, once you mate then it is official that you are together forever and nothing can change that."

"So? I don't understand what you are trying to say." I go on, all she did was repeat my statement back to me.

She looks at Lo'ak and Neteyam who are trying to discretely listen in to our conversation from across the room.

Neytiri leans in to me and says, "Mates are together forever, so mate who you want to truly be with. There is no going back, your father wouldn't have a choice but to accept it once it's done."

I looked at Loak as I was thinking about her words. She really was right.