Chapter 7

Gravedigger heard a small knock on his door before it slowly creaked open. He didn't turn towards the glowing light seeping into his room, he just kept reading the decades old spell book, the pink crystal adorning the front cover pulsing dimly. From the corner of his eye he could see a young man dressed in military attire sheepishly stepping in.

"What do you want Scout?"

The Tower closed the door behind him before turning to his green haired friend.

He grinned, "Ok, that's a little creppy... How did you know it's me?"

"Dad is still out, Molten is in the infirmary. Couldn't be anyone but you."

He shrugged, "Alright, fair."

With no other conversation being sparked, Scout decided to get a closer look to what Gravedigger might be looking at. Peaking over his shoulder at the lively book, he asked, 
"You're still reading that?"

Grave sighed, putting away the pen he was using to write little notes,
"It takes time to translate it, Scout. I've told you... it's in Titan tongue. Many titans don't even know a few words in it so it doesn't come easily.. "

"... Then how do you know it, aren't you half titan?"

The young Titan paused, he thought about it for a second.. He once heard Swordmaster mention that to some Titans, their tongue comes naturally.. Whilst most have to learn it... Those people usually posessed unnaturaly strong magic... But he... He had never even seen proper magic.. He couldn't really be one of the special ones... Could he?...He probably just has solid pattern recognition skills... "I...honestly don't really know?.. I mean.. It's not that hard really, just feels.. old. It's more of a system of symbols you need to learn then decode it carefully...not rocket science" he explained.

Scout accepted that answer without much fuss... Being more interested in something else, "And?! Did you find anything cool?!"

Grave smiled, "I may have an idea of how to get my uncle Krampus back.. The portals are the most complicated part truly... Not only do you need a specific spell to activate them but the one at the base doesn't even seem to have a natural light source"

"Why would it need one?"

Gravedigger pointed towards the scribbled image, "There is this little crystal at the top. To begin the ritual you need a ray of light to shine through it... I think?...at least that's what it says.. and well, it seems the one here is somewhere underground but I haven't managed to translate the whole thing yet.."

The Tower pondered his words for a second, "Welll, the only underground place is the garage... It has like a storage under the main building"

The boy nodded, "Noted. It might come in handy when I try to find it."

Scout froze for a second, raising his eyebrows, "Y- You want to find it?

" I mean y-yeah, it's the only way my uncle could be saved.. "

" Oook, pause. Let's say you find it and s-somehow open it.. then what?

"I go through and try to find my uncle, duh!"

The young man huffed, "Grave, Com' said it's a wasteland! Who knows what could even be there... if your uncle is even alive to begin with"

"I know but what if he is..." Grave but back a shaky breath, ".. Can't just leave him there.."

Scout slapped his knees as he stood up, "Well, if you're going then I am coming with you!"

Grave stared at him, shock plastered on his face, "You what?"

"You heard me! I am coming with you!"

He waved his hands, shaking his head, "Scout there is no need for tha-"

"I don't want to hear it! It's unfair to your family to keep him trapped there now with the knowledge that we have a chance to get him back! I want to help!" afirmed Scout confidently.

"Scout that's sweet but-"

"No buts! Look, I.. grew up without a father, ok?" Scout sighed before continuing, "I... know what its like and your...your cousin doesn't deserve that! You don't deserve that! So, please let me help!"

Scout pleased with his best puppy eyes as Gravedigger sighed, a small giggle escaping him at his friend's display, "If you are sure about this"

"100%!" he nodded.

"Fine.. You can come with me."

Scout jumped from leg to leg, excitedly beaming, "Yes! Yes!"

Grave pulled him down by the collar as soon as he heard the steps coming from outside the dorm. His tone serious as he whispered, "This needs to be a secret Scout! So no more spilling the beans at the first person who intimidates you! Got it?"

"Yes, sir!" he saluted.

He let go of Scout, who dashed down the hallway to prepare but not before screaming,"My first scouting mission!!" at the top of his lungs which caused Grave to jokingly face palm. The light escaping from the leather covers of the book regained his attention. His mind however, was elsewhere, he felt Scout's excitement in his own heart, finding it amusing and somewhat sweet. It was good to see him smile after the Commander yet again, refused to send him on any missions or... even talk to him for that matter... after the fiasco with Fallen.

Fallen...He couldn't help but wonder what would happen if his father found out about this, how would his family react? He was skeptical of the Towers himself, minus Scout of course, what if this was a trap?... And yet, his curiousity pushed him to keep reading...What really lied on the other side of the portal?... Is Krampus even alive or will they risk everything just for him to be...dead? If they do find him, how would he even be after such long isolation...? Questions and doubts kept twisting and turning through Gravedigger's head, but his determination continued to burn, akin to... a green flame. That was what made him stand out from the others,  and the fact that he was born from Towers. He closed the book with a huff, pulling his hood on as he stood up. He left his room, locking the door just in case someone thought about searching through his things. The boy walked through the endless hallways to visit his brother. He planned not to tell him of his and Scout's plan, Molten was too soft... It would freak him out too bad and with his injury... this is the last thing he needed to hear. Knowing full well his father probably hadn't said anything as per usual... He always hid from them whenever something went wrong after all...