Chapter 17

There he was, after over three years, he really was right there... Gravedigger could not believe it. He took a step forward, observing his uncle a little closer. The same man he had met albeit he looked a little older. His beard grew, his dark hair was longer, with a white streak caught up in a messy bun. His face had more wrinkles but it still fostered a soft expression, the same warm blue eyes, more calming than anything.

"G- Gravedigger?"

He too took a step closer to his nephew, reaching a hand out to him, almost to confirm the fact that he was trully there. Grave held back a few tears as he launched himself into his uncle. Wrapping his arms around his neck, hugging him tight. Krampus engulfed the child into his own arms, holding onto him as if he would disappear any second now..
They held onto each other for a few minutes, both needing the comfort.
The older man relaxed his grip, Grave looking back up at him. He kneeled down, pressing his forehead against Gravedigger's for a few seconds.

"You are alive!" whispered the boy.

"I have always been!" laughed the man. He gazed back at the door, a young man no older than 17 was staring back at him from outside. Krampus rose, a hand still on Grave's shoulder.

"A Tower?" he asked. He felt Grave tug at his arm.

"Uncle, this is Scout! He is my friend! He helped me get here!"

"... Very well then, child come in."

Scout shook himself out of his trance and entered. He felt his heart beat rapidly, he had only ever really met Grave and his father, whom he never heard any tales of. Krampus, however, he had only ever known from stories... how violent he was, cruel and heartless in battle. And yet... Here he was, the monster everyone ran away from, welcoming him into his home.

Scout decided he should at least be polite and with a shaken voice he said, "N- Nice to meet you, sir!" bowing his head the way he would at his superiors back at the base.

Krampus found it somewhat amusing, such a fine young soldier, barely holding it together. A well manered child like his son, how endearing.

"You do not have to call me sir, I am not your Commander. Krampus will suffice!" he winked at the boy, who in turn sheepishly smiled.

"Now with the introductions over... How on Earth did you children even get here?!"

The boys looked at one another for a second before grinning. "Well, sir, that is one loooong story!" gigled Scout.

.....

Scout watched the snowflakes fall through the window, they danced and bounced around in the wind. It reminded him of the first ever army he was a part of, a base in the North.
His mind continued to wander, what has Commander been doing since they left, is he looking for them? Is he mad? Will he get thrown out of the army for this? Maybe... The thought upset him but it will be worth it in the end. He zoned back into the current conversation, listening to Grave explain their tale.

"Wait, wait, wait! So, you are telling me you two ran away from the base, snuck through a portal, stole an atv, modified it and came all the way here to find me... All on your own?!"

"In short, yes." answered Grave as he took a sip of his tea.

"My, my! And I thought Frost Spirit was a handful!"