Chapter 14

The sun had just begun rising over the warmly colored sky. The arrangements for leaving have started. With little to no sleep, soldiers initiated their morning training at the order of their leader. In the garage the Engineer was studing the portal in detail, now that there was less fuss around it. A cable going up from the right frame all the way around stuck out the most to her. It almost felt like a plug-in device instead of a mythical gateway. They knew how to power it, however with how much it drains it will be a one and done, the moment they open it, the moment the troops go in... She didn't like this one bit, no way to test it meant if it doesn't work it could never open or worse...get someone killed... She shook the thought of it away, this was a risk they had to take...for the kids.

On the other side of the base, Fallen made his way to Gravedigger's old room. He found himself here after the meeting, some time away from the ruckus was ideal. To look at his son's work just felt like rubbing salt in the wound but he couldn't take his eyes away, how he had never trully known him and now he may never find out either. He hated the idea of 'never', there is always a way.. or so Krampus used to tell him...

The image of their departure stuck with him the most, seeing his child rush through the portal...to a prison his brother was trapped in...who would so such a thing? Who would risk everything...even their own life for another? Clearly, Gravedigger.
His bravery was admirable, his level of recklessness unreachable. This was the child he took in three years ago, huh? From the day they met Fallen had always considered him...hesitant in a way.. Never spoke loud and confident, never ran up to them excited to say something, never spent time with his cousins sharing only hellos and goodbyes...just with his brother he stayed and even Molten showed his emotions more despite him being a 'faint-of-heart' type.
Molten was open with him about anything...if there was ever something wrong...would Gravedigger ever come to ask for help? No... Probably not.

Fallen shut his eyes at the thought... something could happen to him and he wouldn't say a word... dealing with it alone... He himself knew best what it was like.

As he went down memory lane, Grave's first day came back to Fallen, it haunted him years later, feeling it like it was yesterday.

He was with Krampus walking through the forest outside their father's castle, it spread long over the hills all the way down to a village. It was common for Titans to stay away from such settlements as to not cause panic among humans but this time they ventured closer and there he was. A small, roughed up child with green hair and shining red eyes looking at them through the trees. They found out he was Titan, they brought him back and gave him a home. But Fallen will never forget the fear Gravedigger had of him. He was jumpy around other Titans sure, it's normal for a kid raised by townfolk to be after the legends they hear, but Grave avoided him like the plague. The boy would hide behind anyone present in the room if he did as much as just walk towards him let alone talk. One day, the two of them were alone in the house and Fallen had tried to have a word with Grave now that there was no one to interrupt. A big mistake... He sunk into the corner like a caged animal even with all of Fallen's efforts to come near him calmly. He never screamed but the look of terror on his face was enough to cut through Fallen's soul. A scar that remained unhealed, one that he understood nothing about just like his kid... Why did he fear him of all people so much? What did he ever do wrong to child he didn't even know?

He felt tears stinging his eyes as he brushed them of with his hand. Since that incident things did calm down, Grave slowly became comfortable around them, accepting them as family and yet...there is still a cold wall he never dropped. Never too relaxed around anyone unless it was his brother, Molten.
Realizing that by approaching him just pushed him away more he decided to give him space instead, perhaps he would come on his own accord but... he never did.

The door slamed open with a bang, startling Fallen, who almost fell out of his seat. It was Lord Sinister. He was breathing heavily, fist clenched on the doornob, "What is wrong with you?!"
Fallen blinked, registering his brother's words.

"Ya' have a kid in the infirmary, we are at the enemy's base and now's the time you want to go exploring alien dimensions?!!"

Fallen stared at him, "Sinister, what has gotten into you?!"

He pointed at himself, "INTO ME?! You're the one going into that forsakened portal!! And for WHAT?!"

Even in his human form Sinister's eyes were filled with bright orange flames, through his mouth, smoke sipped out and his dreads were heating up a bright red at the ends. Fallen got up, and grabbed him by the shoulders, "Sinister, breath! You are going to set the whole camp ablaze. In *inhale* and out *exhale*"

He felt himself calm down just a little after some more breathing, before grasping his brother's shoulders too, "Fallen...are ya' sure this is what you wan' to do?"

"What do you mean?"

"Look I know you love that kid like yer' own...but he has been with us for only 3 years...are you willing to sacrifice yourself to save him even it it meant Molten losing his father?"

The taller one was taken aback. He stared at his brother as if beckoning him to continue. Sinister locked eyes with him, he seemed tired if anything. The Lord Sinister, most energetic, happy-go-lucky Titan... Tired.

"You raised Molten as your own.. That kid needs ya' more than anything.. Grave'.. He... just came into the family... The kid doesn't even talk to us all that much.. And as for Kram'... It's been almost 4 years...he is as good as dead." he hanged onto those last few words, they hurt him, before waiting for a response.

All he got was silence. Fallen didn't bring himself to say anything, as if he was reading right through Sinister. Eventually, he did speak, "This isn't why you are here. You know better than anyone I would do anything for our family...". He lifted his brother's chin up, "Look at me... Are you scared I won't return too?"

Sinister stopped, swallowing hard as he felt tears slide down his face. That was all Fallen needed, he let go of his brother's chin pulling him into a hug. A few sobs escape his little bro's trembling figure, "I don't want ya' gone too, ok? ... I don't have anything against the kid and y'know that! I just..."

"I know." was all Fallen responded, thightening his grip as a tear or two sliped down his own cheek.

The sound system turned on with a beep, the voice of the Commander echoed throughout the base. "Attention! Tomorrow night the gateway will be opened once again. To avoid any injuries, all work on any sort of machine, especially electric ones will be stopped. The troops assigned are to meet me at the staircase in the garage right after sunset. Everyone else back in their dorms or at the very least in the main building, we do not know what sort of reaction a second powering could have. Over!"

Fallen sighed, "Sinister, I have to get ready. And see if the Commander needs me to help". He let go of his older bro', gaze glued to the floor.

"Promise me somethin'."

"What?"

"Be careful and bring back my nephew and brother while yer' at it"

Fallen smiled softly, "I promise"

....

Note: Updates might be a little slower since I am no longer in vacation however I will try to upload chapters as fast as I can. :)
Hope you enjoy this brotherly moment!