Chapter 16

Back at the base, the last few precautions were taken before testing out the new generator one last time. It lit up almost instantly, electricity following through it like water. The Engineer was very pleased with the outcome, a stable power source could mean a more stable portal. She checked off the last point on her list with a confident smile. This is it, she finally understood this "alien" technology used by Titans, it could mean a lot in the long run for the Towers, she thought.
She left the garage to speak with the Commander. After a few minutes she found him going over the rules and supplies with his soldiers and Fallen, who was somewhat of an outcast between them. Not that it bothered him, he looked way too inside his own head to care. She wondered how he was feeling... To lose a son is something horrible... no parent should go through that...and yet she couldn't bring herself to ask him anything, he was a Titan and old habits die hard...

The Commander noticed her, becking for her to come over, "So, how is that generator working?"

"Well, sir! We haven't ran into any issues testing it so it should be clear to use tonight...as planned!" she nodded.

"That's what I like to hear! The faster we go through the faster we get those kids out of there!", he turned back to his troops, "No more loitering! Get back to your duties! And Fallen...you come with me."

He dismissed Engineer, sending her on her way. He gestured for Fallen King to follow him back to his office. They walked in silence for the most part, Commander did glance a few times up at Fallen. He had never seen the Titan so...absent, he was always laser focused in battles, winning with ease. But his mind was elsewhere now, and those dark circles around his eyes...he probably hadn't gotten a blink of sleep since his kid left.. Commander felt himself pity the man, almost relate to his pain, he too couldn't take his mind off Scout... A sympathy he thought he would never have for someone like him. They took a seat at his desk when they arrived.

"Alright, I wanted a moment to speak with you privately."

"What is it, Commander?"

God that cold tone... So even and calm yet so, so intimidating... He shook it off, thinking the Titan probably wasn't doing it on purpose.

"This is an important and dangerous mission...only trained professionals could come back out in one piece if that portal even opens... A-"

Fallen lifted a hand, "Commander, what is your point?"

"I don't trust you.... would be able to help us in this scouting operation. You do not know the way our team works, our fire arms or even vehicles are foreign to you."

Fallen swallowed, "I don't have to know. That place could be massive and none of your machinery will be able to look over it faster than a Titan...But I am not an idiot, Commander..."

The man could feel himself tense up at these words. The Titan's eyes were sharp, stabbed right through his soul.

" You do not trust me to come because you I think I would take the opportunity to end you then and there. Where we are alone... No one to come save you or the others... Your soldiers made it very clear they want nothing to do with me and frankly I do not care, I want my child back... That portal uses Titan magic, you cannot open it without us even if you wanted to. Therefore, instead of throwing blatant threats at one another, how about we focus on getting to the children and then we go back to fighting if that is what you wish."