Chapter 11

Time felt like it passed slower than ever as the day progressed. Ever since the morning, all Gravedigger could do is watch the clock tick away, counting the minutes prior to their plan. Tonight they leave once and for all... This is what they prepared for and yet... Frost Spirit's words still rang in his head... What if Krampus trully was not alive anymore? Will they do this for no reason? Will it even work to begin with?
He carefully looked over the pages of the book again. He understood every word but it still felt...strange? Like reading a foreign language for the first time. The book itself was peculiar, it glowed a dim purple, with the crystal on the front cover pulsating... as if it was alive.. He gently dragged his finger on the surface of the stone, it was smooth and cold, it felt powerful and yet small. He continued studing the book until a knock on his door snapped him out of his trance, he swiftly slid it down under his bed, opening the door.

"Hey, Grave!"

Grave pulled the figure inside his room, scolding him, "Oh Scout! You scared me!"

"Ups, sorry!" giggled Scout as he waved his hands, taking a seat on the bed, "So, are we ready?"

"Depends. Did you manage to get wood from Sledger?"

"Oh Yeah! I snuck some of it into a crate near our ATV!"

"Perfect. Let's take it from the top, food and water?"

"We have!"

"Wood?" asked Grave as he paced around the room.

"Yep!"

"The modifications are done. The atv works, the portal is there...I guess that's it then.."

"Mhm."

Silence. And an uncomfortable one at that. By the way he paced, he talked and stumbled, Scout could tell Grave wasn't ok. He looked...nervous and it was weird for Scout to see him like that. He didn't know what to say, he wanted to say something but just couldn't find the words... Grave all of a sudden taking him by the shoulders, scared him slightly. 

"Scout...this is your one chance to back out. I don't know if this will work, if he is even alive, if putting you and your career at risk is worth it to begin with. If the spell backfires and kills us... I don't know... But this is the last time you can turn back.. You don't have to do this.. You-"

"Sebastian. Stop" replied Scout with a stern look on his face. Grave was taken aback by the use of his real name allowing Scout to continue. He grabbed the boy's hands pushing them off his shoulders, "Listen to me. You are not doing this alone. No one's making me do this, I want to, you hear me? If you aren't backing out I ain't either!.. So, are we doing this or not?"

Grave blinked, staring into Scout's hazel eyes, he could see his determination and a stubbornness that rivals that of the Commander. He sighed,"Fine, your choice. Don't say I didn't warn ya'. At 10PM meet me at the front gate, we need to be quick and efficient, we have little time for mistakes... Are you ready?"

Scout straightened up, saluting as he would during training, "Yes, sir!"

Gravedigger chuckled, "Good. Now get out of here before someone sees us talking again."

After Scout left, an eerie feeling filled the room. It was unusually quiet, no soldiers on the training grounds, no workers rushing in the hallways, just Gravedigger and his thoughts. He still had his doubts about this mission even with Scout's confidence, he did not want to disappoint anyone... Not again at least...

Evening arrived soon, a sleepy atmosphere was felt across the base. Most recruits were in their bedrooms, barely any people walking around. It was the perfect time to sneak out. And so, Gravedigger did. He took his bag from under the bed, hiding the book inside it. Slowly opening the door, he creeped down the hall, looking carefully around all corners before advancing towards the exit. Scout was already at the gate, hidden behind the steel fence surrounding the building. He jumped at the sight of a small figure appearing beside him, taking him a second or two to recognise Grave under the snow-fit gear since it covered most of his face. Grave pulled him by the arm, making their way to the garage whilst avoiding the gaze of an on-duty Sniper, high up in an observation tower.

They pulled the covers off the ATV, Scout grabbing the wood from the crate and securing it in the trunk. They pushed away some boxes and other junk, revealing the portal behind them. Grave placed the book on the ground throwing his bag to the side. He kneeled next to it, flipping through the pages. His mind was racing, he could feel his heart beat out of his chest. He stopped at the images of the portals, reading the text in his head. The seat of the ATV creaked as Scout sat down, grabbing the leather coated steering wheel, making Grave flinch at the noise. Scout took a deep breath, lifting his eyes to meet Gravedigger's before nodding and whispering a small "You got this."

Grave in turn smiled to his friend. He really was about to go this far for a person he met just a few days ago huh... But enough stalling!
His attention returned to the book, it will only be so long until someone realizes they are gone..
He cautiously recited the spell, one error and for all they know this place could go up in flames or best case they teleport somewhere else.
At first it was not really doing anything, Grave having his hope shatter...until the crystal atop the portal lit up a strange purple, akin to that of the one on the book. The warmth it emitted soon turned hot, almost fire-like. The flames burned Grave's hand, he held onto it despite the pain, the spell was almost done.
The power he sensed while saying it was unimaginable, it was both painful and beautiful, terrifying to those unused to it and wonderful to those who seek it. The caster before him trully might have been mad..
Abruptly, the burning sensation started spreading up his arms, he looked down to see his veins turn a vibrant indigo, leading up to his face and then his eyes. For a second he couldn't see, it was so bright, next thing he knew it was dark and silent. But just for a moment his vision came back, the portal was blazing with power before it erupted into an explosion sending Grave flying back. He landed on some crates, rubbing his eyes as he struggled to stand up. The shelves fell around them, the ground shook and even the ATV was sent hurling before Scout managed to stabilize it. Suddenly, the room turned red, the alarms started blaring. In a panic, Grave rushed over and snatched the book, glancing up to see the open portal, he felt the arctic wind blow out of it, making him shiver.
They did it! They opened it!
The celebration didn't last however, running footsteps were coming down the stairs frantically. Grave froze like a deer in head lights, seeing the Commander's shoes emerge from the surface, Scout's yelling pulled him out of it just in time. He sprinted to him, jumping in the passenger seat.

"DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE!"

Scout floored it straight into the portal right as the Commander arrived with Fallen by his side, troops trailing behind. They watched in horror as the boys entered, disappearing into a blue burst of light that made them cover their eyes... All that was left was Scout's cap falling down on the ground as the portal closed, leaving no trace of life behind.