Chapter 40

Grave bounced from branch to branch as he made his way through the thick forest. It had been a long time since he was able to play within the crowns of some healthy trees.
A once common practice he had done with his brothers back in the village was now just a fadded memory. Despite the fact that he still had a forest surrounding his current home, it was harder to sneak away from the watchful eye of the guards his family had as monarchs. Obstructed by plenty of leaves, he swung, grabbing onto the trunk of the pine. With his axe he slammed the wooden bark, pulling himself up. He climbed and climbed, stopping at the top as he gazed out onto the field. He could see the mountain they ventured on a few days ago, it stood mighty, sporting fresh fallen snow and a thick fog from the clouds. If he squinted enough he could even make out the shape of the path they took to the portal... The portal...destroyed... He felt on odd sensation run down his eyes and cheeks, a burn of sorts, as he remembered what had happened last night in his sleep...Void, he-

"Heyyy! You promised you would teach me how to do that the next time you left!!"

Scout's eager voice echoed throughout the land, making Gravedigger snap back to reality for a moment as he looked towards him from between the leaves and cones. He jumped down and greeted Scout half heartedly, his mind still fixated on his last nightmare... Another one of Void Caster's so called gifts....That portal.. Frost Spirit... Ducky... Sinister...Medic..
Void Reaver...Why?.. He felt his eyes flare up again alongside an anger he had never felt before. Why would you do that? Why would you tear apart the portal so viciously?...Did you not want to see your sons again? Do you hate them that much?... Did that trully mean they couldn't make it back anymore? Failure was already a possiblity even without 'his' uncalled for intermission... Are they actually stuck here forever?

" Wooohooo! Earth to Gravedigger! Respond Gravedigger!"

The young Tower waved his hands wildly in from of the boy's eyes, struggling to catch his evasive attention. The Titan shrugged his thoughts off, finally turning to his friend as the odd feeling fled...On their walk away from the cabin they had reached a lovely clearing near the main village. The vast emptiness of the field surrounded by pines as snow comfortably covered the ground put Grave at ease somewhat. Scout took a seat on an old log that seemed to have been cut many years ago, perhaps back when people still lived in those abandoned homes.

"Ok. We are far enough!" he concluded, beckoning Grave to come closer to him.

The Titan reluctantly took a seat on one of the fallen trunks, waiting for the inevitable discussion his friend had planned for him. Scout kept a firm yet gentle gaze on his younger companion... He had been acting weirder and weirder lately, worrying him to no end..So, it was about time he got some proper answers.

The Tower squeezed the fabric of his ski jacket as he eventually spoke out, "Ever since Ms.V appeared inside that cave, you have been talking to me less and less about what's going on.."

Grave locked eyes with him, his mouth opened for a second but no words came out. Seeing he had yet to get a response, Scout pressed further. "... I know you are not ok! You look so...uneasy and so...scared! You jump at the smallest of sound! You of all people! How could I not be worried?! My friend, my happy-go-lucky, confident friend..is giving me the cold shoulder...and not just me either ...but to everyone!", Scout paused, taking a deep breath, " I...I understand if you are scared, really... I am too. But... You don't have to go through it alone! You have me!.. Your father! Your uncle! And hey, even Commander!...Please.. I.. I don't want to be in the dark again. Especially not about something that might be hurting you... Please."