Chapter 45

Grave walked through the empty hallways for what felt like an eternity. An eerie feeling crept up his spine as he traversed yet another hall, lit up only by the pale glare of the moon outside... There were eyes watching him in the reflection of the window.. Pink glowing eyes..Her eyes no doubt...Just as quick as they flashed, they vanished. He hadn't even noticed how rapidly time went by.. The ticking clock was his only reminder. The infirmary was on the other side of the building from Commander's office, no doubt a long way to go. And a perfect moment to think over everything that had happened this day. His mind went through every scenario over and over again. A part of his life will start anew, and a part of him would be lost...

Either 'Sebastian' or 'Gravedigger' had to go... ll of a sudden he had the chance to pursue his dream with the help of...a Tower, huh. Ironic wasn't it.
Would his father ever even agree to something like this? They have gotten closer sure, and he knows how much it means to Grave but...you do not just convert generational paranoia to trust overnight... What would he even say about Commander's dossier? That his son could be his downfall? That their family could be ripped apart again because of him? It was his fault back then, with his b-.. now it will be his again. Hmph. Selfish of him to only think about his problems, was it not? What about his dear dad? How was he feeling? How would he be feeling after the news..? Would he even want Gravedigger anymore?

Grave stopped...that..that wasn't his voice. He brushed it aside, he was tired...it was probably just catching up with him.. It couldn't be her...He didn't want to belive it was...He glanced up at the number written on the painted white door. The color worn out ever so slightly. Room 206. His father's room...

The only way to get answers...

He took a deep breath and opened the door, leading with a small step forward.

The sight made his heart sink.

The room was rather dark, with only a white flickering light above the middle of it. His father's body laid ever so still on a hospital bed. He wore the beat up, loose shirt and sweat pants of what seemed to be Sinister's style. His chest rose with every breath.. A breath no longer sustained by his heart alone.
His eyes firmly closed, his nose and mouth covered by an odd plastic guard, shielding him away from the world..

An oxygen mask.

Why would he need an oxygen mask? W-was it really that bad? Was the wound worst than they had originally thought? W-..Was he...dying?
The same questions time and time again eating him up on the inside..

The boy approached the figure as if it would jump at him any minute now. He held onto the papers given to him by Engineer with an iron grip. He feared he might drop them, that they would disappear in an instant. As his eyes focused on the peculiar device, which housed a tube that conected the mask to a nearby machine, he failed to notice Fallen gazing at him through heavy eyelids. A hand cupped his, nearly making him jump out of his skin.

An amused grin fell on Fallen's lips. He undid one of the straps of the mask as he spoke, "My child, you are as pale as a napkin. You need not worry about me. It's not as terrifying as it looks. I am fine"

His annoyance at his father's oddly calm demeanor towards his grave injury slid into his words."Fine!? You are fine?!? What's with the oxygen mask then?!"

The man hushed him. "Quiet down. Hey..", he brushed his thumb across the boy's hand, "Really, I will be ok!"

Grave let a small glare slip him,
"Don't lie to me, I am not Molten."