Chapter 26

In the Frost Dimension things were peaceful in comparison to the base back at home. Gravedigger slept soundly in his father's arms, clutching his journal closely to his chest. They had spent the whole evening and well into the night talking about inventions and machinery, only pausing to eat dinner with the others. Grave shared the knowledge he treasured so dearly with his dad, housing the biggest smile on his face constantly. He never had a parent be interested in what he does so, it was rather indearing seeing his father try to comprehend all the mechanisms he tried to explain to him. Scout and Commander bid them good night way earlier, having been used to their military program of going to bed early and walking up at the crack of dawn. Krampus on the other hand stayed up a little later, cleaning around the house but eventually he too fell asleep.
For a while it was only them, together. Grave couldn't think of a moment when he had his father all for himself. Of course he was never jealous of his brother, heavens no! He is used to being left to do his own thing, it never bothered him, really. But it was nice to have Fallen spend time with him, he never expected the older Titan to love him so dearly.
Eventually, Grave couldn't help but close his eyes and doze off in the protective embrace of his father.
They slept soundly until suddenly Grave heard the faint sound of a rock bouncing off of the window. He carefully unwrapped himself as to not wake his father, creeping towards the wooden sill. The floor creeked under his feet as he walked closer, pulling the curtain just enough to peak an eye out into the snowy tundra. There, in the clearing surrounding the house, covered only in fresh snow as the pine trees circled it, stood a dark figure. It looked to be human, perhaps a Tower looking at their size.
They wore a dark cloak with a hood covering their head, pink eyes staring right back up at Gravedigger. He faultered for a second, hiding under the looming shadow of the curtains then he looked back. The figure was gone... Only the white flakes remained bouncing through the air tenderly in front of him.
He kept his eyes on the snow patch, waiting to see if the figure would pop up again, nothing. As if they weren't even there to begin with...

"Gravedigger?"

Grave turned rapidly around to see his father, sleeply sitting up.

"Are you alright, child?" he asked.

Gravedigger looked outside, then back at Fallen before nodding shortly.

"Y- Yeah, just thought I heard something.."

He chose not to tell his father about the figure, it was late and maybe he was just imagining things. He wouldn't want to scare his parent for no reason. And so, he climbed back into bed, closing his eyes as Fallen wrapped an arm around him.

.....

At dawn, it was Krampus who woke first followed by Commander. Usually Com' would wake Scout up as well since this is the time they would start training but now they aren't at the base and why not let the boy sleep in a little? The Tower made his way down the stairs, stopping abruptly as he watched Krampus make a cup of tea. The Titan saw him from the corner of his eye.

"Good morning, Commander"

"Oh uhh, g-good morning." he responded as he took the last couple of steps into the living area. He walked forward albeit reluctantly, "Where are the others?"

"Oh, Grave and Fallen? I let them sleep, they seemed comfortably snuggled in the blankets and... Knowing my brother, he definitely hasn't slept properly in a while.." he answered but his voice trailed off, his mind staying at the thought of Fallen. What had he gone through during his son's disappearence? He appeared nothing short of exhausted when they talked yesterday.