Chapter 37

"Those stupid little-"

Sinister grunted as he walked up the stairs to the nearby dorms. He applied pressure to his brusing shoulder, wincing as he made sure nothing would do so much as to even brush against it. Those damned Towers knew what they were doing. They laughed their little hearts out when they "accidentally" shot him with the paintball gun... All he wanted to do was train for Creator's sake! Can a Titan no longer unwind without being used as a target?!

He huffed to himself as he continued his trip to his designated quarters. Nothing he can do about them... If he strikes back he is the monster for attacking innocent Towers... If he doesn't do anything who knows what else they might come up with... This time it was a paintball gun.. Next time, maybe a real one.

He stared at the grey shaded rug, bigger problems catching up with his already exhausted mind...Three weeks... Three Creator damned weeks.. And no sign of them... No sign of the portal ever opening again... Not even a flash of blue light...like the one that blinded him when Fallen left... Nothing.. Swordmaster only just now began somewhat warming up to the idea of reciting that stupid incantation... Why or how? Who the hell even knows at this point.. Maybe he finally went senile..
He sure can't explain what came over the old geezer, perhaps Void beat some sense into him... No... Even Void Reaver is against the idea of reactivating the gateway... But why?
Why.. Why.. Why... WHY?

The first week he was practically leading the whole operation to get them back! What changed?.... That Fallen followed Grave? His own son?
Does he too hate Gravedigger? Or...
Is he trully still mad at Fallen for that dumb fight they had?.. That was only a suspicion he blurted out during the meeting, not thinking much of it but maybe?...The hell was that whole ordeal even about? Wait...wh-
What was it about?
The harder he thought the more he could faintly recall eavesdroping outside the door to his brother's chamber that fateful night... The shadow filled hallway of their ancestor's castle, stone pillars holding the ceiling firmly above the purple, ivory lined carpet. The only light source was the open window opposite of the oak doors he pressed his ear against. The moon shined bright on the clear night sky, not a single cloud to obscure it's mighty light.. And yet, the peaceful atmosphere was not enough to keep the building tension away.. He heard their screams going back and forth.. Something, something, 'never cared' , something, something 'going soft'...'Spoiled brat'... And... In the end... Sinister felt a chill down his spine as he remembered the very last sound he heard before the room went quiet... A slash... Then silence... That heart pounding silence... A feeling he wished he never had to go through again... Despite his plead, life had other plans... The same ache, hitching his breath, he felt the moment the portal snapped shut.. With his brother inside...

He could hear his own pulse drumming in his ears as he waited... And waited for anything to happen... Then there was a small cry... Then Void Reaver stormed out, so infuriated he never even noticed Sinister or didn't care that he was there... The younger Titan caught a glimpse of his older brother, kneeled down, holding onto his arm, sobbing quietly in the dark room. Shattered glass from what seemed to have been a lamp laid on the ground... And maybe just maybe, a faint drop of blood was streaming down from Fallen's forehead.. But his face was too well hidden in the darkness so, Sinister was never sure... Still..

He wanted to talk... To go next to his brother and comfort him but he couldn't... Like the breath stuck in his throat.. he stayed still. Then he just left... And ooohhh how he hated himself for doing that for the last few years... Comforting was never really his thing... It was Krampus's honestly, however, his brother needed him... and he wasn't there... Again.
He never really was... Perhaps that is why he chose to take Frost Spirit... To prove to himself that he does care... That he can be responsible... Selfish..
How selfish of him...