Chapter 53

"How long will you sit there, sulking?"

The raspy voice of the elder echoed through the stone chamber. Only two torches with dying flames were lighting it up, no windows to prove that tomorrow was another day. A door was the sole entrance, the chilly air being the sole comforter in grief.

The metal tang left on his tongue had a bitter taste to it, akin to old memories of once lively friends, now fallen, gone to time. Swordmaster trudged through the tens of swords, axes, warhammers, most carefully sealed behind glass cases, preserved to their esteemed greatness.
Those were the weapons of the ancestors, warriors of the never ending war. Important in the eyes of Titans, perhaps even divine... Signs of hope in an otherwise lost world.
Then there were those of their own armies, of zombies and monsters, of commanders and generals, leaning against wooden supports, open for battle, with shields bearing the Void family sigil next to them.

His eyes however, were not gazing upon his own crafts filled with pride, but towards his partner, examining his own mighty weapon. Darkheart was renown for its craftsmanship but Void's blade was seen as a weapon of the gods.
Only the best for the strongest Conqueror of all Titans. For the lightbringer in a world of darkness, to those of old that was what the Void family meant. They were the heroes of the unwritten tale, sung praises to everywhere they went.
But that was in the past...

That was when they were winning. With Tower leaders taken as hostages for bargain, with weapons and magic unrivaled by any technology...
When the Titans had the edge in the war. Or at least that was what it felt like...perhaps they never had it.
Perhaps they were destined to fail.
For the Void family to fall.
For a while that was all their kin wished for them. When Void signed the Peace Treaty alongside the elders, some believed he had bound them to eternal suffering. To a shameful defeat in front of the prying, gleeful eyes of their enemies. Some even speculated the mighty 'King' had reached a compromise with the Towers for him to keep his wealth to himself at their expense.
Fools they all were...If only they had known how far they have all fought for them... How much work he himself had put in their weapons and gear...All for not. They lost...everything.

Even with the silence that followed, Swordmaster was not to be fooled, Void's face was a clear enough sign that his thoughts were the same. Of a long distanced past, one of sorrow and regret.
One neither he nor anyone else can alleviate the burden of.

But try he did. Every day since...

"It was not your fault.."

The first time he spoke, Swordmaster had received no response. But this time, Void squirmed under his gaze despite not even looking his way.
Patience was never his strong suit. With a sigh, the old master walked up to the Titan and kneeled next to him, carefully pulling the sword out of his hands.
Sharp objects and dark thoughts are a combination not to be messed with.

"Void, it was not your fault. Not back then, not now."

"...Easy for you to say.."

The voice that came out of the behemoth of a Titan was barely even a whisper.
A striking difference to his usually strong and collected tone.

"It is not your sons who hate you...It is not the world who sees you as a failure..
You are Swordmaster, greatest weapon craftsmen of all time...A remarkable aid in the old war and one even now..
But me?" Void let out a sad chuckle,
"I am not that. I am the bringer of doom to our own race..The one who let them fall...Nothing more than a disgrace.."