Chapter 34

Nightfall came around early at the base. The stars were barely visible in the night sky, covered by fluffy clouds sprinkled across them. Swordmaster trudged along the metal railing as he made his way down the stairs leading to the garage. With his wooden cane he carefully placed his foot down every step, one by one. Gently as to not awaken the throbbing ache in his left knee. Most would think it was a sign of old age...an age of retirement but Swordmaster knew better...
It was an old wound that never fully healed. Even deeper than most would think... for it was not acquired willy-nilly in a random battle...Not even in the war... No... This was the 'gift' he had received for being weak... For following his heart... for raising an orphaned Tower... Gladiator...

It made his skin crawl just thinking about his mistake... Just how foolish he was thinking a Tower could be one of their own! That boy was always ungrateful... He should have noticed earlier his signs of pure defiance! Just how-how horrible he was! And messy! And annoying! And loud! And funny! And a joy to have around! And-.... And-.. And he missed him...more than he would ever admit to anyone.

The elder sighed as he leaned on the railing harder for support. His peculiar charge used to be his pride and joy...his precious child... A little warrior he had trained personally, more skilled than most Titans, having the same battle prowess as his master.
But the Towers just had to intervene... They had already stolen so much and yet their greed knew no bounds... They just had to have Gladiator on their side... To imbude his head with malicious thoughts against his own master... His true family..

Swordmaster pinched the bridge of his nose, what an idiot he was! How could he have believed a Tower would ever be fit to be called family... His family no less! Ughh... He should have known Towers and Titans don't mix... a tale as old as time!
And now yet another Titan falls down the same awful spiral of fate!
He sighed, grabbing onto the railing with both hands, feeling the metal bar bend between his fingers.

... Fallen King... For all his expertise in strategy and combat he sure was naive... Swordmaster had always admired the young man's serious nature, calm and collected, ever since he had become his own pupil. Out of all his brothers Fallen seemed the most worthy to take the reins from his father when the time came.
He had the courage to step onto the battlefield unlike his brother Krampus. He was adamant and intelligent, cunning in a way. And unlike his brother Sinister he was not a danger to himself and others..
He seemed like the perfect heir to the throne and yet... He was far too emotional. His heart dictated his actions in the most dire times.. And with the adoption of his one true son that side had only grown bigger.
Molten's arrival at their doorstep as a mere helpless baby melted Fallen's tough exterior... Made him weaker...
That child was not even a warrior! The many times Swordmaster had tried to train him, especially since he was coming of age, left him more and more disappointed. That young man was a cry baby. You yelled at him just a little too loud and he would tear up..
A pacifist just like his dear uncle Krampus.. *sigh* and look where that pacifism got him... And as if that was not enough, Fallen had to go out of his way to adopt another child!
A hybrid no less.. Not a Titan, not a Tower just a stain on the Void Family's royal name... He never even bothered to bring that one in for training.. What was there even to train? A future enemy?

Fallen fought and fought despite all Titans being against it, just to raise a child that doesn't even love him... And now the bufoon decided to sacrifice his life for that same boy! Leaving his true son an orphan.. Swordmaster swore under his breath, tightening his grip on the railing as he was close to riping the bar off. His red eyes trailing back to the portal...
"Oh Fallen, I thought I had taught you better than this..."