Chapter 9

Over the next few days the boys continued their preparations. They managed to "borrow" one of the ATVs used for spare parts and Gravedigger began his work. Every day when the soldiers were out training, there was enough noise to cover up whatever the two might be modifying on the engine. Grave had presented Scout his blueprints trying to somewhat explain to him what they meant.

"So here will be the motor. I took out the pistons, and using that old metal box I welded together the new fuel tank since we need a special one with an open fire in order to create the gas necesary to make the engine run" explained Gravedigger as he pointed on the blueprints the different steps.

Scout was left speechless just trying to comprehend where everything went and what needed to be taken out, it made his head hurt. And yet here was this child, younger than him by quite a bit talking about it with such expertise it would put some of their own workers to shame.

"Wait doesn't this kinda work like one of those steam trains?"

"Yes, exactly! Those use coal instead of wood but it’s the same principle. It's just that companies go for coal because it gives off more energy than wood. In our case we need something we can get easily and I don't think either of us want to go coal mining... "

"Only in minecraft. " nodded Scout.

Putting away the papers, Grave opened the trunk of the vehicle and took out bits of equipment forgotten there by the military. Scout paced around for a while before sitting on a nearby crate.

"Y'know I've been wanting to ask you something."

"What's up?" responded Grave as he continued checking the ATV around for any damage.

"What kind of name is Gravedigger?" Grave paused, standing up and turning to face Scout.

"Really? Of all things you could have asked this was the big question?"

"I mean yeah, it is kinda weird that all Titans have these sort of names.. Fallen King, Lord Sinister and what not."

"Titans don't name their children with 'normal' names, they use titles instead... Makes them sound important since most are royalty"

"OK. And what did your father have to do to get the title 'Fallen King'... Did he fell off his chair?" asked Scout with a tone so serious it made Grave burst out laughing.

"I am being serious!" chuckled Scout

"I don't know why he has that name! All I know is that in our culture that's how things work" laughed Gravedigger.

"What about you? Why Gravedigger of all things?"

"When my father first found me I had a shovel strapped to my back... I used that to escape actually.. And well 'Holedigger' doesn't have the same ring to it now does it?"

"First of all 'Holedigger' is hilarious! Second, what do you mean escape?"

"I told you I wasn't born a Titan. My family called the military to pick me up after they found out I had Titan genes from my aunt."

"And...how did you escape?"

"My oldest sister, Svetlana, hates Titans with a passion so she was pissed when she found out I was one. She locked me in the basement 'till the military would arrive the next day... I didn't wait for that to happen, dug my way out that night and well the rest is history"