Chapter 49

TW: a little blood (near the end)
.
.
.
.

"Did you really decide to give the boy a chance?"

Swordmaster barely glanced behind him as he heard heavy footsteps climbing the last few stairs. His focus was elsewhere, his eyes fixated on the purple haze of the evening sky. With the rooftop being a perfectly quiet place to meditate, the elder could be found here almost every dusk and Void knew that well.

"You know it's the only way to find out the truth" he eventually murmured.

"Mhm.."

The elder rolled his eyes upon seeing the grin adorning Void's face. Of course, the doofus was happy his 'new' grandkid finally got a chance in the eyes of the old Master.

He scoffed, "If we want that child to trust us, it is vital that I be on good on terms with him. Nothing more, nothing less. There is only so much time to waste if she truly is coming after him."

Void mumbled something under his breath, his face pressed against the Master's back as his arms lazily drooped over his shoulders.

"What are you grumbling about?"

"...I..I feel her...pressence."

"Already!?"

He nodded. Lifting his head as his partner fully turned around to look at him. The worry welling up in Master's eyes was clawing at Void's heart.

"Goodness, it is even worse than I thought..." he paused, leaning against the brick wall lined with metal, acting as a railing from the looming fall.
He closed his eyes, his thoughts rapidly banging against the very margins of his mind. How could she be here so soon? Void had barely sensed her since the portal's destruction...Could she be sliping right under their noses? Where had she been all these years anyhow? Why complete that blasted plan now? Was she awaiting Gravedigger? No..That boy has been around for almost three years..
Unless it was her who had not been here...Cannot be. Not even death would claim her...

Swordmaster sighed, "If you feel her... then it has to be him..We really are not mistaken, are we?"

"Grave is a Tower born, Titan turn, neither race yet both at the same time. Not a lot of children fit that description, even less in recent years so there are not many options to begin with...It has to be exactly like the ancients used to say 'both races' not just 'close enough', remember? 'A unity of both races will be the one to open the way...' "

"...'The relic shall be either the key to peace or destruction in the hands of the one who wields it.' How could I forget that you doofus?", he batted him swiftly on the shoulder, "All those who practice the ways of old had to almost learn that prophecy by heart ever since the War!"

"Just checking" he grinned before his face slowly darkened as his mind wandered further into the realm of possibilities. "Whether Grave fits that criteria fully or not, Caster still has an interest in him. And you know that could only spell disaster for us all. Not to mention, the boy does already hold some sort of control over Titan magic... A talent the 'The One who Awakens' was to be born with and last I checked Grave had no one to teach him such practices."

"The 'The One who Awakens'?!" whisper- shouted a young voice in a confused manner.

The two elders swirled around upon hearing the hushed noise echoing close to the staircase. They scanned their surroundings with glares cold enough to scare whole armies into submission and to make Ducky hide behind the support beam in an instant. He held his breath, almost feeling their gazes pierce right through the concrete cold against his back.