Chapter 28: Mystified haze

Y/N's POV:

Part of you regretted wearing heels on the meal out. Your feet ached like no tomorrow, the sobbing pain coursing through your veins, the throbbing constantly causing you to huff. You didn't regret the meal now though.

You and Lizzie had some unspoken truths now out, even without verbalising them. The moment your hand came into contact with her's was the binding touch that lingered through it all. The tingling sensation you felt when your hand clasped tightly in her own was one of which you won't forget.

Alice and Scarlett on the other hand had acted oddly the moment they got back from their smoke break. Seemingly giving intriguing looks directed towards yourself and Elizabeth. You wondered if they'd noticed the difference in your demeanour, or perhaps noticed Lizzie looking more smug.

Yet, thinking about it then it couldn't have been possible. Your hands were intertwined underneath the table, of which nether of the two woman had looked under or had eye level to. Seemingly being odd, you wanted to ask what was wrong.

"Are you two okay, you seem strange," you mumbled into the air.

They both took a glance at each other, suspicion lingering on their faces. It only seemed to make you all the more intrigued as they looked like two criminals caught in some devious act, clearly indicating something private happened outside.

"Perhaps they fucked," Elizabeth said so bluntly you choked slightly on your cheesecake.

Alice burst out laughing, although a heavy blush painted her cheeks, dusting over them. Scarlett on the other hand whipped her head around swiftly to the older woman sat next to you, before daring daggers.

"Elizabeth.. Besides takes one to know one hm?" She darted back.

You watched the expression of Lizzie falter next to you for a moment, before humming back shaking her head in some unknown language towards Scarlett. Had they fucked, or did they have some unknown joke?

Unsureness overtook you instantly during that moment, your body feeling like it was becoming smaller with each passing moment and each intake of breathe. You tried to take your hand out of Lizzie's not too sure if you wanted to play the game anymore. Yet, the moment your hand shifted in hers, clearly trying to leave her own Lizzie only held yours tighter.

She gave you two quick squeezes, something you'd discussed before. If you were in public places with Paparazzi's or any other situation where one was afraid, the other's squeeze of a hand would relax them to let yourself or Lizzie know you're there. Squeezing your hand back in her own, you both relaxed your bodies and your mind became at ease once more.

The night followed rather smoothly after that. You settled on not pressing Al or Scar on whatever they had lingering between the two of them with private jokes and discussions. Instead, you settled on indulging in conversations between the four of you, letting laughter spill into the restaurant and dance in a musical of warm notes.

All the time this happened, your and Lizzie would squeeze each others hands in an unspoken comfort, making sure the other was okay. It always made you blush and you were certain Alice was picking up on the blush shading your cheeks at this point. If she did though, she certainly didn't say anything in regards to it, only glanced at you with curiosity in her eyes.

Eventually, the joyful conversations between the four of you had to come to a blissful close as the night ended. Yourself and Lizzie left after Scarlett and Alice, allowing time for you to hold onto one another just that little bit longer.

Your hand held tightly in hers even as you left the restaurant. Lizzie had insisted on taking you home, therefore Al and Scar left after her persistency and you certainly weren't about to complain or state otherwise.