[Volume 4] Chapter 2

The Situation  is looking dreary as Ruby can be heard breathing loudly 

Ruby: Just hold on Uncle

Ruby and Jaune walk Infront of Y/N As he carries Alesha on his back sleeping soundly

Qrow: Tai. She's not... coming... Tai.

Qrow coughs repeatedly.

Jaune: He's getting worse.

Ruby: How much farther?

Nora: We've gotta be close.

Ren: Without the map, there's no way of knowing. But I feel like we're close to something.

Ren holsters .

Ruby: What is it?

Directly ahead is a fork in the road with a signpost. 

Nora: Hey, hey! Mistral! We're on the right path! Oh...

Ruby: Does it say how close?!

Ren: No. And it looks like the path takes us up the mountains.

Jaune and Ruby set Qrow down.

Jaune: Guys, I don't know if all of us can make that climb.

Ruby looks at Qrow, concerned, before rushing forward to the signpost. Y/N Stands there holding Qrow  stoically 

Ruby: Okay. Well, what about this place? Kuro... Kuroyuri? Can we get help there?

Jaune approaches.

Ren: That village was destroyed years ago.

Jaune: But if it takes us around the mountains, it's the best bet we've got.

Ren:  It will take too long.

Ruby: The town would have had a doctor, right? Maybe we could scavenge for medicine!

Jaune: Right!

Ren: We're not going to find anything! We just have to press on!

There is just a brief moment of silence. Ruby watches him, clutching her hands before her chest. Y/N walks up behind her and pats here on the head Whispering

Y/N: It's alright, You can tell the anger is not directed at us.

Jaune: Ren, why are you acting—

Nora: We can split up.

Ruby: Huh?

Nora: Ren and I can cut through the mountains while you Y/N and Ruby take Qrow around through the village.

Jaune: No, we're supposed to stick together! We keep each other safe!

Y/N: Jaune is correct....For once, We should be sticking together Incase there is another attempt on Ruby's life.

Y/N says glaring.

Ren: Oh give it up Y/N, You were never there when she needed you in the past so why are you so concerned now!

Y/N stands there frozen in shock 

Ruby: Y/-

Jaune: REN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, If we all stick together we will all be safe!

Nora: We don't have time for safe! If we make it to Mistral, we'll bring back help! If we don't, at least we'll have a better view of the land! Up there, we can see if there's somewhere else we can go!

Ren turns and looks at Nora. They exchange small, affectionate smiles. Still holding his gaze, Nora drops her hand from his shoulder. All four remain silent, feeling the weight of the choice before them. Qrow coughs, making them all turn in concern and giving the motive to continue.

Before anything else could be said Y/N walks off with Qrow Leaving the rest of them with a few words.

Y/N: Jaune go with the two of them you wouldn't help me and Ruby much.

Jaune looks at Ruby before turning to Nora and Ren.

Jaune: OK.

Jaune steps forward and he and Ren hug each other.

Jaune: Just take care of each other Y/N...Ruby

Ruby gives him a bright smile as she runs to catch up to her retreating boyfriend. As the couple were walking side by side with the sleeping qrow on the taller ones back Ruby decides to speak up

Ruby: Y/N....About what Ren said I'm sure he didn'-

She cuts off as Y/N leans down to give her a peck on the lips.

Y/N: Shhhhh....I'll just have to make sure I'm by your side till we keel over.