Chapter 7: Selection

I paced around my room chewing on my nails. It was a bad habit but I couldn't help it as the team for the series to Sri Lanka was going to get announced in an hour. The selection committee were holding a meeting discussing mine and the team's fate.

It had been a month since I was training with the team and they all felt like family to me. They teased me and pranked me but loved me and protected me like a brother. They gave me advice and I could already feel that I was a better player. I hated lying to them and knew none of them were sexist and wouldn't judge me for my actions like Virat hadn't but I couldn't risk them knowing as if the truth came out and they knew then they would be in trouble because of me. I already felt guilty about Virat knowing but it was a blessing in disguise as he could help me every time I was in a problem. I smiled remembering all the times he had saved me when the boys had asked me to accompany them swimming or other times when I was almost caught acting like a girl and he had to make excuses for me or divert their attention. Laying down on my bed I clutched a pillow nearby to my chest and smiled like an idiot. Everytime I thought about Cheeku I felt my stomach fluttering. I was brought out of my thought when I heard my phone ringing. I looked at the caller id and saw that it was Cheeku calling.

"Hi Cheeku!" I spoke with a little extra enthusiasm and decided to tone it down. I heard him chuckling on the other end before replying.

"I sense someone is extra happy today huh? Confident much? The team is not even out yet Elize." He had started calling me Elize a few weeks back giving me a nickname for Elizabeth and I liked the name so I let him call me that. It didn't feel too feminine and so it didn't give away anything either. I had completely forgotten about the selection and now I was back to being nervous. He sensed my feelings from my silence.

"Don't worry Elize you are there in the team. I just came from the meeting and they will announce the team in about five minutes or so. I'm not supposed to be telling you this so you better keep mum about it." The happiness his words brought to me was not something I could describe. I got up on the bed jumping up and down and started screaming Yes! Yes! like a mental person.

"Thankyou so much Cheeku! This means alot to me!" I started getting emotional and felt my eyes fill up with happy tears.

"Don't you dare thank me. And you better not be crying Elize! This is the time to celebrate. Let's go out and party tonight Elize." I was surprised at how well he gauged my reactions and wiped the unshed tears from my eyes.

"Ok Cheeku." I said and he told me he would pick me up from my house at seven and hung up. I switched on the tv and saw what Virat had just told me. I had been selected to play for India officially. I was part of the 15 players from the Indian camp to go on tour to Sri Lanka next month. The whole team was this-

Virat(Captain), Saha, Raina, Shikhar, Rohit, Rahane, Ashwin, Jadeja, Bhuvi, Shami, Elliot, Rayadu, Axar, Samson, Vijay.

I got calls from everyone congratulating me all afternoon and I didn't realise how quickly time passed before I was ready to go out with Cheeku.

I wanted to dress up today but I knew I couldn't as I was supposed to be a male. I signed feeling sad about my fate but the next moment I cheered up again as I knew exactly what to wear. I decided to wear something from Cheeku's Wrogn collection which is his own fashion brand. I was actually glad I got to wear his brand as it was only for men and now that I was acting like a guy I wouldn't look crazy wearing it. I decided to wear a white tshirt which was plain at the top but had a little design on the bottom with brown jeans which looked kind of like tracks and white sneakers. I loved the look on me and as it was again in a bigger size so it hid my curves well. It was 6:30 by the time I was ready and I was playing a game on my phone in my living room while glancing at the clock every few minutes willing time to go faster.

At seven sharp I heard my door bell ringing and I ran to open it. I checked myself out in the mirror near the door of my house entrance and liked the look on me as a guy before I opened the door revealing Virat standing in a greyish white shirt with a black waistcoat and black jeans. He looked sexy as always and I stared at him a little longer than required. I heard him clearing his throat and I snapped my gaze up to his eyes. He had a smug grin on his face and I looked down again blushing at being caught staring.

"Don't worry. All girls have this effect when they see me." He said cockily and winked. I rolled my eyes at him.

"By the way, nice way to butter up the captain huh? Endorsing my brand?" He spoke and this time I winked at him.

"Well actually it looks better on me than you so I wanted to show the world that it should be me modelling this brand rather than you." I used to same cocky tone at him and he just chucked lightly leading me over to his car.