Chapter 9: My First Tour

Getting off the bus which got us to the hotel where we were staying in Sri Lanka I was greeting with cameras going off in my face and hundreds of people standing around cheering for the team waiting for either an autograph or a picture to be clicked with the team members.

I felt extremely nervous about the crowd waiting for us. What if I did something foolish and made the country ashamed of me? What if I fell and made a fool of myself?

I could hear people around screaming our names and some were even screaming mine making me more distressed.

My brain kept churning out embaressing senarios making me even more nervous. I stepped back deciding to fly back to Delhi when I felt a hand on my shoulder and when I was ready to jerk it off I saw that it belonged to Virat. I looked at him pleading to understand what I was going through by seeing the look in my eyes. I know I looked absolutely distraught but I was scared. He gave me a reassuring nod and put his arm around my shoulder before quickly pulling me towards the hotel entrance. I walked quickly keeping my head down grateful for Kohli to understand what I was going through.

"Relax Elize. You wouldn't do anything wierd or foolish so stop making up stupid scenerios in that smart mind of yours. Don't think about anything else and just focus on your dream. You need to do this." He whispered softly in my ear and I looked at him surprised at not just the fact that he knew exactly what was going through my brain but also what to say to calm me down. I took a deep breath and soon we were in the hotel lobby waiting to be alotted rooms. Virat had finally left me alone after I had assured him that I was fine. But he had still told Rahane to take care of me.

"Even I dont like all this. Even after so many years I am still not used to the fame. It still jarrs me sometimes. But I think about cricket and it helps." Rahane offered his advice to me and I smiled at him grateful. Thinking about cricket did help me.

"Or you could even put in headphones and play loud music. It's what most of us do. If you can't hear the world around you, you can pretend it's not happening." Jaddu spoke from beside me and again I felt grateful for my team and how well they protected me and how comfortable and secure they made me feel. I smiled at them thanking them both for their advice. Virat came back to us with our manager and we all turned to them.

"Well here are your room keys. Sleep well tonight you guys have optional practise starting tomorrow at nine. You can roam around or go out today if you guys want but I would prefer you take a bodyguard along." Our manager said while handling over our respective room keys to us.

We all got in the elevator and went to our rooms to either unpack freshen up or sleep and decided to meet in Cheeku's room in an hour.

I didn't feel like unpacking as we had to travel all over Sri Lanka and I didn't like packing again and again so I preferred living out of my suitcase instead. I got out a new pair of jeggings and a plane white wrogn tshirt from my luggage which had already been delivered to our rooms and went to take a shower.

After half an hour and a long relaxing shower I came out with wet hair that I had recently gotten cut again in an army cut. I ran my hand through my hair. I was used to it by now. I was bored so I decided to head over to Virat's room a little early.

I asked his room number from the help desk before I locked up my room taking my room key along with me. I made way over to his room which was actually right beside mine and knocked before waiting patiently for him to open up. It had been almost a minute before the door opened revealing a towel clad Cheeku standing shirtless. I immidiately shielded my eyes and looked the other way deciding to come back later. I could feel a slight blush on my cheeks. He pulled me inside and closed the door.

"I can see that your busy Virat. I can come back later." I said with my hand over my eyes and gulped.

"How can you see with your hand over your eyes?" He asked me and I heard his footsteps walking away before I heard a door close. I opened my eyes as a reflex and looked around confused. Ignoring his question I just called out his name.

He walked out of a room adjacent to this one in a Team India tshirt which we are supposed to wear to press conferences and black track pants. His hair was wet and I suddenly wanted to run my fingers through it.

"I have been called for a conference. I'm going to message everyone that they can all go sightseeing without me." He said as he typed something on his phone.

"But that's not fair! I wanted you to come with us. If you aren't going then even I won't." I whined like a kid and pouted. He snapped his eyes to me and I realised what I had just said. The intensity with which he looked at me made me want to walk over to him and kiss him. He broke the eye lock looking away from me.

"If you want I could introduce you officialy today. You can accompany me to the conference. Afterall it's your first tour." He spoke looking at the wall beside him and finally looked at me when I answered.

"I don't mind."

"Ok then I'll infrom the boys that you're coming with me." He said and gave me a dazzling smile.