Chapter 25: WI Tour

Stepping into the field I inhaled the fresh breeze and the smell of freshly watered cricket field. I closed my eyes in contentment to be back on the field and sighed. Opening my eyes I got into my position where Virat had told me to stand waiting for the match to start.

After only four overs the West Indies were already 12-1 and I was called on to bowl when Chris Gayle was on strike.

I completed my run up and released the ball from my hand and as soon as it connected with Gayle's bat it was out of the park and the umpire raised his hands to signal a six. I cursed myself for giving a loose ball to a guy like him and got back to my starting position. I noticed that he rarely moved his feet when ever he played and it was all his upper body strength that he used.

I ran up and bowled a beauty of a yorker, if I may say so myself, right at his feet which he had to dogde awkwardly which the bat hanging lose. I felt bad for doing it to him but as the ball rocketed off of the edge of his bat and into the stumps all I felt was happy at my wicket.

Soon after my over they were 18-2 and I was satisfied with it even though the first ball was shit.

By the time the first match came to an end I had taken five wickets which was my first five-for. I was extremely happy with my performance even though the out of form Windies helped me alot.

They had set us a target of 92 and had gotten all out by the 35th over which Rohit and Shikhar had chased down without losing a wicket.

After the series ended I was the leading wicket taker with a scalp of 14 wickets in 5 matches. I was extremely proud of myself and was pretty certain of my chances of making it into the World Cup squad.

We all decided to go out to celebrate the series win that night as we had whitewashed the WI which was a huge feat. Plus we were in Jamaica so how could we not celebrate.

Our manager had organised a cake for all of us which the boys made me cut. When I had cut it the first person I fed the cake to was Virat.

"Thankyou for staying by my side and for believing in me when everyone else would have left." I felt myself get a little emotional thinking back to how he handled all the times I had a temper tantrum or when I broke down, how he had helped me back when I couldn't even grip the ball properly.

"Elize, I'm supposed to do it. It's my job to be there and keep you happy. And I love my job so shut up." He spoke only for my ears. I smiled up at him grateful.

I turned away from him to feed the others the cake and even though they kept their mouth shut about me and Cheeku as there were others around, they still gave me sly smiles and wiggled their eyebrows suggestively.

I just rolled my eyes at their behaviour and force fed them huge pieces of the cake.

Soon everyone left to sleep except the team and everyone present knew about me so I could stop pretending.

I stood up and called everyone's attention to myself.

"Guys, thankyou all for loving me like a family. Thankyou for standing by my side when I was at my worst and helping me up. I don't think I would have been here without your constant encouragement guys." I looked at all of them and no one spoke up. All of them just looked at each other before walking towards me and engulfing me in a group hug much like our usual team huddles.

"Shut up." Was all each one of them said together and I laughed along with all of them.