Chapter 10: Press Conference and Day Out

We walked together to the hall on the groundfloor and were grilled in the press conference by all the media people. Mostly Virat tried to shield me from the questions as he knew I was not exactly comfortable with this new lifestyle yet. They kept asking him most of the questions and he kept answering, making a few jokes here and there whenever they got a bit personal. They asked me about myself and I knew I couldn't tell them about dad as he only had a daughter according to the world. So I sticked to my background story and just changed dad's name and profession. I gave them a brief speech about how I started playing before they started asking me more questions. Finally Virat said-"Oh cmon guys! Don't make Elliot spill all the secrets. Afterall he's currently a secret weapon against the Lankans." He spoke with a light grin on his face and a few of the media persons laughed lightly at his statement before bringing their attention back to him. We were done in another fifteen minutes and were walking out of the hall when we bumped into Lasith Malinga and Angelo Mathews. I started fangirling immidiately.

"Oh gosh! Sir I'm a huge fan of you both! Can I please have an autograph?" They looked a bit taken aback before they indulged in my request. I felt so good after I got their autograph. They greeted Virat and walked into the room after waving us goodbye.

We started walking out and I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. I felt like a schoolgirl after meeting her favourite star.

"How come you never asked me for an autograph? You traitor!" Virat spoke and I looked up at him and saw that he stopped and stood infront of me with a pout on his face. He looked so cute that I wanted to pull his cheeks but I stopped myself.

"Don't flatter yourself. These guys are awesome!" I spoke still in awe of them.

"And I am not?" He looked at me and I saw genuine hurt in his eyes this time. He was a superstar and millions loved him and his batting style and yet he stood before me wanting my assurance. I sobered up quickly and answered him genuinely.

"You are an idol to me and million others Virat. You don't know how many times I have wished for an autograph from you. But I was too engrossed in my training the first day we met and I was scared to ask you guys after. But if you would give me an autograph I would feel amazing."

He just looked at me with a happy look on his face and gave me an autograph on the back side of the paper I was holding and I felt giddy at my luck. Not only was I playing with the team I was practically living with them. It felt like a dream come true and even now after almost two months I couldn't completely believe my luck. I don't know what overcame me but I hugged Cheeku tightly. He wrapped his hands around my waist and I felt my heart flutter. I felt at home in his arms. We stood like that for longer than necessary before moving back. I looked around and was glad that the hallway was empty.

"I'm sorry." I said consciously looking anywhere but at him and played with the hem of my tshirt.

"Don't ever apologise for that again." He spoke in a hard tone and it made me look up at his eyes. I saw his jaw set tight and kept my hand on his arm in an attempt to soothe him. He relaxed under my touch.

"We still have a few hours. Lets go sightseeing." Virat spoke after a few moments of silence.

"I'd love that." I spoke enthusiastically.

He called a bodyguard to accompany us and we waited for him in the lobby. When he came I forwarded my hand and introduced myself. He looked up at me in shock and it was so funny that such a well built guy with his arms bigger than my thighs looked so confused and didn't know what to do before he tentatively forwarded his hand and shook mine for all of two seconds. He retracted it soon after as if I was a disease. He looked so cute being all scared and I couldn't help but laugh at him.

During the car ride I got him to open up and we chatted the whole way. I got to know that his name was Bob and he had a wife and two kids aged five and seven, both boys and huge fans of cricket. I made Virat autograph for his kids and handed it over to him.

"Will you not sign it also please?" He asked and it took me a moment to realise that he wanted my autograph too. I quickly did it for him and he looked extremely happy and kept staring at the piece of paper like he couldn't believe his luck. He was riding shotgun and me and Virat were sitting on the backseat. I looked at Virat still surprised that anyone would ask me for an autograph. He was already staring at me with a look which did stuff to my stomach.

"There is so much goodness in you." He spoke softly for only my ears and then looked out of the window.

We soon reached The Viharamahadevi Park in Colombo and started walking aimlessly while looking at the beautiful plants nearby. It almost felt like a romantic walk but we couldn't even hold hands.

After that I begged Virat to visit the National Museum that was right beside the park and he finally caved in when I showed him my puppy dog eyes. I happily walked over and got three tickets for all of us. We walked in and I soon got lost in the artifacts. I loved museums and learning about history. It's not something most people were interested in but I was wierd that way. We spend the whole day like that and by the time I reached my room I was so tired I immidiately crashed on my bed and dozed off to sleep.