Chapter 22: Fractured

I smiled looking at the promise ring on my finger which I had never removed from the day Virat had put it on a month ago. We were still just in love as ever and we were only nine months away from coming out in the open. After seven months the World Cup was starting and no matter what the result to our two month campaign may be we had decided that I would come out with both my secrets infront of the world and let them think what they wanted to about me.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I looked at the time on my watch. I was going to be late for practise if I didn't hurry up.

I rushed into the field just in time otherwise coach would have sent me running around the ground for being late.

We started practise by doing some basic stretching after which we were supposed to do fielding drills. We stood in a line while coach threw leather balls high up in the air that we were supposed to catch when they came down. When my turn came I got into position and ran in hard to reach the area where the ball was going to land. I had my eyes glued to it with my hands cupped infront of my eyes before I saw something in my peripheral vision and I did the mistake of dividing my attention. I felt the ball on my middle finger and before I could try to hold it properly it went past my hands bending my right hand finger in an odd angle and I heard a loud and clear crack resonating from the finger before I felt excruciating pain in it. I immidiately clutched my finger in my other hand and bit my lip to stop from screaming out loud in agony. The pain was too much to bear and I closed my eyes tightly feeling slight tears of pain, sinking down to my knees before I heard footsteps running towards me. Virat was the first one to reach me though he was probably the farthest. He kneeled down infront of me holding my injured hand gently in his palm and inspected it. He had one look at my face and his own contorted as if he was going through the pain along with me.

"It hurts." I whined and clutched my healthy hand into a fist closing it so tightly I could feel my fingers going numb.

"Let me look." Coach said standing over the both of us. He had one look at my finger and declared it broken and send me to the hospital to get it plastered. Virat started leading me towards the exit when coach called out to him.

"Oye! Where do you think you are going? It's just a fracture in his hand. I'm sure he can manage without you." He said looking at Virat.

"How is he supposed to reach a hospital like this? He can't drive and he obviously won't wait for someone to come pick him up." Virat growled out referring to me as a guy as coach didn't know about me. I could see clearly that he was angry at Coach and was nearing his patience after seeing me in pain so I pressed my left hand onto his arm silently telling him to calm down. Under my touch he just took a deep breath and calmed down.

"Okay you can take him." Coach growled out grudgingly.

That was all Virat needed before he pulled me along with him and drove me to the doctor's the whole time holding my left hand in his to comfort me. He kept whispering "Its ok" but I wasn't sure whether that was to assure me or him. Maybe it was for the both of us.

When we reached the hospital he jumped out and opened the door for me even though I was capable of doing it myself. He lead me into a doctor's office that I guess he knew personally or maybe it was just because of who he was. As I didn't like to pull our weight around just because we are cricketers I decided to tell the doctor that I would wait but my resolve was anyways half crumbled due to the pain in my finger and the other half vanished when I saw Cheeku glaring at me as if warning me not to do what I was thinking. I just sighed and walked into the doctor's office and walked out about half an hour later with a plaster on my finger and half the hand and a list of prescription of painkillers to eat.

Virat stood up as soon as he saw me and took the prescription page from me. He didn't ask me any questions and just lead me right to his car and after he had bought my medicines from the chemist beside the hospital he came and sat in the driver's seat.

"It's fractured. I can't play for a month and a half." I said telling him the news which had been eating me up the whole time. I knew that the fracture would send me out of commission but I had dared to hope that it would be for a maximum of two weeks. I never had thought that I would have to deal in months. I rested my head against the headrest of the car and closed my eyes. That was not all.

"Hell I don't even know if I can play again. What with my swinging finger injured? Without placing this finger on the seam I can't bowl the way I do. I might just never get my mojo back. With the world cup being so close I would most probably have to kiss my dreams goodbye. This stupid injury might take my cricket away from me." I whispered loudly enough for Virat to hear and let the tears I had been holding in fall finally.