21. Love Between Human and Demon

Follow me if you're already invested in this story because I'll keep writing similar stories in the future, and you might miss out.

At two o'clock in the morning, Dongfang Qingcang was surprised to find Meilin awake as she exited her bedroom, groaning and yawning with her hand covering her plump lips

At two o'clock in the morning, Dongfang Qingcang was surprised to find Meilin awake as she exited her bedroom, groaning and yawning with her hand covering her plump lips. The jaw-dropper was not because she had stopped being lazy; rather, she had slept the entire day before when he was forced to read a book about treating human illnesses.

"Hmm?" Meilin thought, 'Why is he here at two A.M.? Shouldn't he get some sleep?'

Qingcang remained silent as he sat on the couch in the living room, even though he saw Meilin from the corner of his eyes.

'What's his problem?' Meilin thought as she joined Qingcang on the couch, watching him pretending she was not there, or so she perceived it to be. "Ah, I wonder if a new episode of Love Between Human and Demon came out on Interflix," she said to break the awkward silence between them as her hand moved toward the coffee table to reach for the TV remote.

"Forty-seven thousand, one hundred and twenty-one," Qingcang muttered as he rotated his head and glared at Meilin, his voice hoarse and his eyes sleepy from the lack of rest.

Meilin, turning her attention from her smart TV to the Moon Supreme beside her, raised an eyebrow in confusion and asked, "What do you mean?"

Qingcang looked away from Meilin, and his sneer turned into a scowl as he responded, "That book. It has forty-seven thousand, one hundred and twenty-one words."

Meilin's eyes widened in disbelief as she asked, "Did you actually count the words?"

Qingcang silently nodded, looking down with exhaustion, still not facing Meilin, and only looking before him, watching a black screen light up. He could finally read human scripture of this world and saw that it said Interflix on the colorful screen. He had yet to understand television but was too tired to bother.

Meilin was taken aback by Qingcang's dedication to reading the entire book, let alone counting its words. She thought to herself, 'This guy... He might lose his mind if I tell him the book is not about female-specific issues but just illnesses and treatments with traditional medicine. But I shouldn't say that; he looks too tired.'

Qingcang glanced sideways at Meilin as he spoke, "I read the whole book three times." His bitterness was evident, but he was too exhausted to argue with her about her cruelty from the previous day. He had read each page once to decipher the text, then returned to the deciphered page to read them properly. After eight hours of transcription and reading, he had even counted the words in that cursed book.

"You stayed up all night counting the words to impress me?" Meilin asked, teasing Qingcang as she could not help but snicker, thinking, 'He's so gullible. This is too amusing, wow.' Her mouth curled into a playful smile. "I never thought you'd take my words seriously. Are all fairies so naive?" she asked, her tone amused, and she gradually began to laugh harder at his unconditional obedience.