26. Bitter-sweet-ness

Follow me if you're already invested in this story because I'll keep writing similar stories in the future, and you might miss out. Also, if you need more Dongfang Qingcang in your life.

"I'm not angry with you," Qingcang managed to utter a muffled response, his voice barely audible above Meilin's breathing

Meilin's eyes widened in surprise as she took in Qingcang's words. She could not believe what she was hearing. "Y-you're not?" she stammered, her heart racing with anticipation.

Qingcang let out a sigh. "No," he replied impatiently, his tone short and clipped.

Meilin felt a wave of awkwardness wash over her as she realized she had been embracing Qingcang for far too long. She quickly pulled away from him, feeling embarrassed and self-conscious. 'So, I've been acting like a fool for nothing?' she thought, her cheeks flushing with heat as she looked up to see him raising an eyebrow at her.

 'So, I've been acting like a fool for nothing?' she thought, her cheeks flushing with heat as she looked up to see him raising an eyebrow at her

Looking up at Qingcang, Meilin saw that he was studying her closely, his arms crossed over his chest. She felt a shiver run down her spine as she met his gaze, unsure of his thoughts. She shifted nervously on her feet, her heart pounding as she prepared to ask the question that had been gnawing at her for hours. She cleared her throat, the sound harsh and grating in the tense silence of the room. "Did you find the wrongdoer?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Qingcang exhaled slowly through his nose; his eyes fixed on Meilin's face as he read the anxiety etched there. He could tell she was trying to change the subject, to brush off their intimate encounter with casual conversation. But he decided to indulge her. "I found the magician," he said evenly, "but he was not the real culprit."

Meilin's eyes widened in surprise. "You mean there was someone else?" she asked, her voice tinged with disbelief.

Qingcang nodded, his expression remaining impassive as he replied, "That's right."

Meilin's brow furrowed. "What did you do to the magician?" she asked, her tone suddenly sharp.

Qingcang's lips curved slightly, the hint of a smirk playing at the corners. His emotionless eyes raised somewhat in response, looking directly into the window of Meilin's soul through her eyes. "I took care of it," he said cryptically. "He won't bother you anymore."