23. Make A Wish

Follow me if you're already invested in this story because I'll keep writing similar stories in the future, and you might miss out.

Meilin's head felt dizzy as she stood before Qingcang, the otherworldly man who helped her by breaking her curses. She was afraid she might pass out, but she held on, determined to hear his answer. "So, will I no longer be attacked by the dark energies?" she asked him, her voice trembling.

Qingcang's eyes glinted as he spoke. "I removed all black magic inside your auric field. If that specific talisman meant to kill you was imprinted inside this field, then yes."

Meilin's heart raced, and she tried to steady herself as she asked Qingcang, "And what if it's not? How would we deal with it?"

"If not, it's inside the person who wants you dead, and I'd have to kill your enemy," Qingcang replied, his voice calm and measured.

Meilin's mind was racing with confusion. 'My enemy? I don't remember offending someone to this extent to want me dead,' she thought. She could not fathom who would want her dead.

Qingcang's arms crossed over his chest as he spoke with authority, "From now on, don't leave my sight, and don't ask me to be somewhere you're not. Obey me if you want to live. Understood?"

Meilin was taken aback by Qingcang's tone, and she thought, 'Obey? He thinks he's some royalty. Fine, it's not as if I have a better alternative for surviving.' She nodded in agreement, wondering what she had gotten herself into. "So, how do we find the wrongdoer?" she asked, uncertain about what she could do.

"I will find the culprit myself," Qingcang replied confidently as he saw Meilin pouting when he denied her involvement. "From what I've observed, the monsters don't appear during daytime when the sun is highest. I won't be around, but you'll be safe during those hours."

Meilin was surprised to see Qingcang's concern for her well-being. She raised an eyebrow and nodded slightly as she started to smile, grateful for his help. She felt warm and fuzzy inside. She was stunned to see an otherworldly man care so much about her well-being that even the closest people she thought were her friends did not compare to this level of devotion.

Qingcang observed Meilin's face, trying to decipher the sudden shift in her expression. He noticed the corners of her lips curling upwards into a grin, making him curious about its reason. "Why are you smiling?" he asked, his voice laced with eagerness. He could not recall saying anything funny to make her smile.

Meilin's expression grew even more mischievous, and she replied with a cheeky smile, "Nothing..."

Qingcang's patience was running thin with Meilin's secretive behavior. He decided to press her for answers. "Tell me the tru—," he began to say, but she erupted with an unexpected outburst before he could finish his sentence.

Meilin's eyes widened in alarm as she heard Qingcang was about to demand the truth. She knew she could not continue to hide her true feelings and would have to face the consequences of her words, so she made up an excuse and quickly interjected, "Oh no!" she exclaimed, lifting her head suddenly, "We have to go back! It's a matter of life and death!"