4.0 Neteyams Pov

I watched her storm off, her tail flicking around wildly. I knew she was angry, but I also knew better than to go after her. She needed some time to calm down.

Im an idiot

Kicking a plant under me, I sighed an put a hand through my hair. Why did I have to do that? I was usually much more composed.

Angry at myself, I went back home criticizing myself the whole way.

„Shxawng." I muttered to myself once I was in out tent.

„What did you just say?" My dad's voice sounded behind me. I didn't notice anyone else being there.

Turning to him I said „Nothing." quietly and sat down.

„Well by the look on your face, it seems it's something." he sat down next to me. He looked at me, waiting for me to say something.

„I did something stupid." I admitted, and sighed again.

„Well are you gonna tell me or do I have to force it out of you?" he put his arm on his knee.
So I told him everything from their training together until our fight in the forest.

I expected scolding and a lecture from my dad.
What I got instead confused me. He started laughing.

„It's not funny." I grumbled looking away ashamed.

He finally stopped laughing and said „You know, your mother always thought you would go for a healer. But I knew it would have to be a warrior." looking forward with a smile on his face.
„What are you talking about?" I asked, not understanding anything.

„You threw that rock, because you were jealous. Neteyam." he looked back at me, his voice calm.

Jealous?

„Of Teyney? No I'm much better than him." I retorted, thinking how ridiculous I'd have to be to get jealous of him.

„Not Teyney, the fact that Vawayani was spending time with Teyney. That's what you're jealous of." my das explained. We looked at each other for a few moments before he continued „Do you like her?"
Immediately I shook my head „No, no way." and I couldn't help but avert my gaze to the ground below us.

He started chuckling again and I repeated „I really don't." trying my best to sound convincing. When I didn't even know the answer myself.

Did I like her?
I mean I liked spending time with her. I liked training with her. And I liked the way she was fearless and brave. I liked her long hair and her big eyes, or the way her ears flickered at the smallest sound.

With big eyes I looked back at dad „Maybe I do." and he smiled „It's okay, that's natural. And quite a good thing. I just don't know if there won't be any difficulties with her family."

„What do you mean?" the tone of my voice came out harsher than I wanted it to.

„Neteyam, she's Ley'ä'itan, she can't be together with a family member of the Olo'eyktan."

That's when my mind connected everything. The reason she always hid me whenever her mother was near. Or that she never let me walk her back the whole way to her tent. That was probably also the reason her mother wanted her to get together with Teyney urgently.

I sighed, putting my face in my hands.

„But that doesn't mean that you can't at least try." dad put his hand on my shoulder and I looked up at him.

„How do I apologize to her?" I asked helplessly.
„Well like a man, you go up to her and say you're sorry. And say that you're an Idiot, that always makes your mom laugh."