8.0 Farewell

„Is Yani inside?" Kiris voice woke me from my slumber. I opened my eyes to see that it was still dark and the new day hadn't begun yet.
I saw Kiri walk inside the tent her eyes looked a bit swollen and her face was made into a frown.

„Kiri, what is it?" I asked her, still sleepy.
She sat down in front of me and sighed „I don't even know how to tell you."

That sentence woke me up immediately I grabbed her hands in mine „What happened?" she couldn't even look me in the eyes.
I squeezed her hands and she finally made eye contact.

„We're leaving."

She looked sad as a tear fell from her eye. So I knew she was being serious.
„Leaving? What do you mean? Where?" I wasn't comprehending.

„We just overheard Mom and Dad argue. They think we should leave. To protect the people." her voice grew softer with every word.

No, that can't be true.

Shaking my head, I couldn't believe her „But that never happens. We can fight the sky people, no we will fight the sky people."

„No, that would just bring too many deaths. I'm gonna miss you." she put a hand on my cheek, giving me a sad smile.

„No, Kiri." my voice started breaking as emotions took over. She hugged me, putting a hand on my head while tears fell down my face. The Sullys were my closest friends.

„But who will protect you? And little Tuk or Lo'ak?" I couldn't accept it and I was acting like a child.

She gave me a short laugh, her sad face remaining „We have Neteyam for that."

When the thought occurred to me that Neteyam would also be leaving, my heart started to hurt.
I think she noticed the change in my expression.
„You should go talk to him. Come." she started pulling me up with her.

I pulled my hands away „No, I'll get some sleep first. I'll see you tomorrow right?" My eyes found themselves on the ground. I needed some time to process everything. And after Neteyam saw me with Teyney he seemed angry with me.

„Okay, I'll see you tomorrow." Kiri said and touched my shoulder before she left.
I saw down on the floor and sighed.

„You okay?" Ratxaw asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

No I'm not
I nodded and looked up „Of course. I'm going to sleep." I tried to ignore his hard stare and tried my best to close my eyes and fall asleep.

A loud commotion woke me up, scaring me. I sat up and saw my mother, tidying up.

She noticed me „Oh you're awake." physically she looked good, like always. She seemed to have gotten better.
„Hello mother, how are you." I walked over to her while I fixed my hair.

„I'm better. I brought some fruit, cut it up so we can eat it." she ordered.
I got to it and while I we were eating across from each other she started the conversation „So I heard you were a big help with the mission yesterday."

I looked up from the fruit, meeting her eyes „There were sky people. The Sullys were in danger."
She nodded and quietly said „I'm very proud of you, daughter." not making eye contact with me.

That completely caught me off guard as I stared at her with big eyes.

After a few moments I started blinking again „Thank you." getting shy I looked back at my food.