35.0 The Last Fight

TW! Mention of blood and gore

But the moment never came. Instead a raw scream so loud that my ears burned was heard, snapping me out of it.

I opened my eyes to witness an arrow flying right by my head and hit one of the avatars behind me, loosening the grip he had on me. In shock I looked to the floor to see the ass with short hair with a arrow in his neck, blood spiking through the wound.

Wide eyed I stared at the scene, unable to move. The other guy behind me was eliminated as well, setting me free completely. Only when my eyes focused on the arrow, my worry turned into happiness.

Seeing the all too familiar red arrow I looked up. The corners of my lips turned slightly. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Up in the sky I saw my mother flying around the ship like I was before, shooting at the soldiers.
My attention was diverted by big hands holding my arms, it was Neteyam.

„Are you okay?" he asked, holding me tight and analyzing my body for injuries.

When our eyes met it seemed as though everything was alright, but I knew it wasn't. Not yet at least.

„Come with me." I spoke quickly, really not wanting him to let me go.

He nodded and held my hand as I jumped onto the roof, hoping Eka wouldn't take her time in getting here. My heart felt lighter when I saw her beautiful big wings fly into our direction only a moment after calling her.

So I made our bond and with Neteyam behind me we took off. Thankfully I still had my bow and was able to make out all the soldiers who were getting their guns ready, shooting them one by one.

„Is that your mother?" Neteyam who had been shooting as well, asked in a surprised voice.

She would occasionally fly by us, and one time long enough to make eye contact with me too. But not long enough for me to make out any emotion on her face. Even if we had a difficult relationship, I was more than delighted to see her.

I nodded, a smile building on my face before I asked „Are the others safe?" still targeting the people on the ship, they were becoming less and less.

„I think so. They should be." I could tell he was feeling worn out, as was I honestly. But I had to ignore the physical pain in my body for now.

After what felt like hours but I'm sure was only mere minutes, most of the soldiers were dead, or thrown into the water. The Metkayinas were winning the fight.

And after I flew down close to the water in order for Neteyam to drop inside, as he said he had to find the others, I saw my mother getting of her Ikran on one of the rocks inside the water.

Finally seeing my chance to talk to her again, I didn't hesitate to fly up to her. When Eka and I landed, our eyes met. Hers immediately welling up with tears and she walked towards me, hugging me tight. It was in that moment when I noticed my own vision become blurry too, as tears slipped down my cheek.

„Oh my daughter." she spoke in a soft tone, still holding me and stroking my head.

„I missed you."

„So did I."
I pulled away and looked up at her, her appearance was similar to the last time I saw her but her eyes looked less lively than I remembered. Her skin gave the impression that she hadn't been eating well, more hollow than normally.

„I'm sorry." My voice was shaky and I tried my best to stop crying.

„So am I." she gave me a loving smile, holding my face gently with one hand, while the other stroked my hair.