Chapter 17: We Should All Be Worrying

I stood in my chambers, finalizing my makeup for the ball when I heard a knock. I quickly opened the door, seeing Severus standing in the doorway. He looked up, his eyes locking on mine as he stood, breathless, in the doorway.

"Y/n... y-you're beautiful," he whispered. He stepped inside and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"You look very handsome, Sev. Did you curl your hair?" I asked, noticing the curled strands of hair between my fingers.

"Oh, uhm... y-yeah. I wanted to look nice... for you."

"You look great, baby."

He smiled, kissing my forehead before pulling away.

"I got you something," he said, showing me a black and green corsage. He took my hand in his, carefully slipping the corsage over my wrist, his fingertips bruising the skin on my forearm.

"It's beautiful, Sev. Thank you." I threw my arms around his neck and he chuckled, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I'm glad you like it, darling," he said, pressing a kiss to my forehead before pulling away, offering me his arm.

"Shall we?" he asked and I happily took his arm. We made our way out of my chambers, heading toward the Great Hall.

...

"Y/n! You look beautiful, dear!" Minerva exclaimed as we entered the Great Hall. "Severus, you look very nice as well."

Severus smiled softly, though he didn't respond. I knew he wasn't used to getting compliments and the closest thing to a thank you anyone besides me could get was his signature half smile.

It wasn't long before the doors to the great Hall opened and students began flooding in. Music began playing and students filled the dance floor. I felt a pain spreading through my chest and I gripped Severus tightly.

"Darling...? Baby, what's going on?" Suddenly he winced, his eyes flicking down to his left arm before returning to me.

"Sev?"

"I'm fine, darling. W-what's wrong with you? A-are you in pain?"

"M-my chest. I-it's burning." I gripped his arms tightly as the pain increased. He pulled me against his chest, shielding me from any curious eyes.

"I've got you, baby. Everything's going to be okay," he whispered. "Just focus on me, princess. The pain will subside. I promise." He kissed my head and I focused on him, inhaling the smell of parchment and firewood. The pain slowly began subsiding to a much more manageable dull ache.

"Thanks, Sev. I'm fine now."

"I think we should have Poppy look at you."

"No. She's got enough to worry about with all the students that are probably going to be drunk or high tonight. I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, baby. I'm fine. It doesn't hurt as much anymore."

He nodded, though I could tell he was reluctant, and offered me his hand.

"May I have this dance?"

I chuckled, taking his hand, and we made our way to the dance floor, Albus and Minerva following closely behind. Severus wrapped his arm around my waist, pressing my chest against his as we swayed to the music. We danced to a few songs before Severus and I left to do carriage duty, essentially making sure students weren't having sex in the carriages outside the school.

We had pulled a few students out of carriages when Igor came running toward us.

"Severus, I need to speak with you," he hissed.

"Then speak," Severus replied, an icy edge in his voice.

"Alone," Igor said, glancing toward me. I turned around, planning to leave when Severus grabbed my arm, pulling me back to him.

"Anything you have to say can be said in front of Y/n. She is aware of both of our pasts."

Igor breathed a sigh of relief before beginning.

"It's happening again! Like before! Soon, neither you or anyone else will be able to deny it!"

"I've told you already, Igor. I see no reason to discuss it." Severus quickly ran over to a carriage, opening the door and taking points from Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff as the two students scurried away. Igor huffed in annoyance as we both walked toward Severus.

"It's a sign, Severus! You know it is!" Igor hissed.

"Igor, I don't know what you're talking about," Severus replied, keeping his cold demeanor as he began walking away from Igor, taking my arm and leading me away with him.

"Really? Then perhaps you wouldn't mind rolling up your sleeve." Igor reached for Severus's arm but he backed himself against the carriage, moving his arm over his head.

"You don't fool me, Severus!" Igor chuckled. "You are scared! Admit it!" he hissed.

"I have nothing to be scared of, Igor," Severus replied, slowly moving toward Igor. "Can you say the same?"

"You have nothing to be scared of? Is that right?" Igor hissed. "What do you think will happen when the Dark Lord gets his hands on her?" he asked, gesturing toward me. Severus quickly moved an arm in front of me as Igor tried stepping toward me.

"The Dark Lord is quite fond of Y/n. I suspect he will have no problems with her at all," Severus hissed.

"That's besides the point!" Igor hissed, growing angry. "It's been getting clearer and clearer for months! I am becoming seriously concerned, I can't deny it-."

"Then flee," Severus hissed. "Flee! I will make your excuses. I, however, am remaining at Hogwarts. I suggest you leave... now."

"May I have a word with Y/n?"

"Absolutely not," Severus hissed. I placed my hand on his arm.

"Sev. It'll be fine. Just... 2 minutes, yeah?"

Severus glared daggers at Igor before he turned to me, his eyes softening.

"2 minutes," he replied. "And I'll be right over there the whole time." He pointed to a small pillar of the castle before turning to Igor. "Any funny business and I'll make what the Dark Lord has planned for you look like child's play," he hissed. Igor gulped and Severus walked away.

"How are you?" Igor asked once Severus was out of earshot.

"I'm fine. It's been a long time, Igor," I chuckled.

"Yes it has, dear. I haven't seen you since the surprise party the Malfoys threw for you nearly 20 years ago. I always knew you and Severus would get together eventually."

I chuckled, nodding, before he took my hand in his.

"Y/n, you need to make Severus realize how real this is."

"Igor, I don't think there is anything I can do. He knows how real this is. I think we're both just trying to avoid it as long as we can. I think we're just trying not to face it until we absolutely have to. We've got enough to worry about without adding that to the list."

"I think that time may be coming sooner than you think... When was the last time Severus showed you his mark?"

"A few months ago... why?"

"Just... ask him to show it to you again. I'd show you mine but we're in too open of a space. Just... ask your boyfriend to show it to you. I think you'll find we should all be worrying."

"Alright, your two minutes is up," Severus hissed as he walked up behind me, glaring at Igor, and wrapping his arms around my waist. "Goodbye, Igor."