Chapter 71: More Secrets

"I understand your concern but he wouldn't hurt you, dear. We both know that."

Minerva and I were sitting in Grimmauld Place having a cup of tea before we would be heading to Hogwarts for the start of term. No one had spoken of the boggart incident since it had happened and I was grateful to them for that. Minerva had been sent to ensure I made it to Hogwarts without any interruptions and I could see the sadness in her eyes as she spoke about Severus and I.

"Minerva, I understand what you're saying. I just... can't be with him right now," I said as a wave of guilt washed over me. I hated lying to her. I hated every bit of this.

"You two were perfect together... I just... I'm worried about you."

"Minerva," I began, placing a hand on top of hers. "Can you just trust that Severus and I know what we're doing?"

She gave me a curious look but didn't ask any further questions. "I just hope you work it out," she said.

"We will. You just have to trust me on this one."

She nodded and we began talking about the upcoming school year. Albus was being particularly quiet on who the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor is and this worried both Minerva and I. Remus, Sirius, Arthur, and Molly entered the kitchen, their lips pressed into a thin line.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Minerva looked up, noticing the glum expressions on each of their faces, which quickly changed as I asked them what was wrong. Each of them plastered on a smile that didn't meet their eyes, which only succeeded in worrying me further.

"Guys, what's going on?" I questioned again.

"Nothing, dear," Molly answered, preparing a cup of tea. Sirius took a seat next to me and Remus sat beside him.

"Nothing to worry about, pup," Sirius assured, placing a hand on my back.

"You're such a bad liar," I chuckled. He placed a hand over his heart, feigning hurt. "Seriously, what's going on?" I pressed as the sound of glass clanging caught my attention. Molly's hands were shaking as she placed a cup of tea on the counter, her hands gripping the edge of the counter, knuckles white as she slowed her breathing.

"Sirius?" I pressed.

He sighed, knowing I wasn't letting this go. "Can we talk somewhere privately?" he asked softly.

"Sirius, you're scaring me."

"Nothing to be scared about, Pup," he assured, his fingers gently rubbing my back.

I stood up and he led me out of the kitchen into the study toward the back of the house. He closed the door behind us and I could feel a pit forming in my stomach as I worried what was to come. He turned toward me and I could see tears in his eyes.

"Sirius, what's going on?" I asked him softly. He swallowed thickly before speaking.

"Y-you're leaving... everyone's leaving me," he whispered. His voice sounded so broken and I could no longer resist the urge to hug him. I wrapped my arms around his neck as his hands rested on my waist.

"Sirius... no one's leaving you... we just have to go back to Hogwarts... but you'll have Remus, Molly, Arthur... even Bill will be here," I answered, trying to remind him he wouldn't be alone.

"But they're not Harry... they're not you," he whispered, pulling away to look down at me.

"But Remus is here, too."

He smiled slightly at this but I could still see the sadness in his eyes. "Why did Molly and Arthur look upset, though? What aren't you telling me, Sirius?" I heard footsteps pass the door as Sirius continued.