Chapter 59: The Hearing

The next few days everyone was on edge as Harry's trial approached. Finally the day had arrived and Arthur was making final preparations before he would be leaving with Harry. I was sitting in the guest room Sirius had prepared for me as I waited for Harry to get dressed before going to see him. I allowed a few tears to slip down my cheeks as I looked down at the frame in my hands. I was holding the photo of Regulus, Severus and I, our laughter almost contagious as the moving image perfectly depicted the way we'd felt that day. For a brief, fleeting moment we were all happy. How I wish that could've lasted. I heard a small knock on the door and looked up, seeing Remus standing in the doorway.

"Hey, you," he said, walking over and sitting on the edge of the bed. "May I?" he asked, gesturing to the picture in my hands. I handed it to him and he looked down at it, a smile spreading across his face.

"You were all so young in this picture. You clean up nicely, young lady."

I laughed as he looked down at the picture once more, a sad look spreading across his face.

"I'm sorry... about Regulus. I know you and he were close."

"Thanks Rem. He was a good kid."

Suddenly we heard Arthur's voice. "Ah, Y/n! There you are. I-." He stopped suddenly, noticing the picture in my hand and the tears in my eyes. "Oh... I- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt," he said, looking between Remus and I.

"It's alright, Arthur. We just took a little trip down memory lane is all." I looked up at him, sighing as I realized why he was here. "That time already?"

"I'm afraid so. Harry's ready... if you want to see him before we leave."

"Of course, Arthur, thank you."

He smiled, heading back downstairs. Remus handed me the picture and I placed it on the nightstand before wiping my tears and fixing my face.

"Ready?" I asked him.

"Not even a little bit," he chuckled.

We made our way down the stairs, finding Harry playing with the buttons on his shirt. He looked up, a smile spreading across his face as he saw Remus and I heading toward him. He ran toward us and we pulled him into a hug.

"It's going to be alright, Harry. It's all going to alright," I assured, though I didn't know who I was trying to convince more: Harry or me.

We stayed like this for a few minutes before Arthur walked up behind us.

"I'm sorry... but I'm afraid it's time to go."

I nodded, pulling away as Harry stared up at me, tears forming in his eyes.

"Do you think they'll put me in Azkaban, Aunt Y/n?" he asked, his voice cracking as the words left his lips.

"They'll have to go through me first."

"And me," Remus said, giving Harry a warm smile.

Harry chuckled, nodding as he gave us one final hug.

"We love you, Harry. It's going to be okay."

"I love you too."

With that Arthur and Harry walked out the front door of Grimmauld Place, heading for the Ministry of Magic and the uncertainty that awaited us all.

***

The several hours were torture as we waited for any news. Molly bustled about, preparing comfort food but none of us could eat as we waited, fearing the worst. Finally the front door opened and we heard the shuffling of feet. I quickly stood up, making my way into the hallway. I was relieved as I saw Harry's face come into view and he ran toward me.

"Harry! I'm so happy to see you!" I exclaimed. Sirius and Remus emerged from the kitchen, seeing us hugging. They ran toward Harry and I, engulfing us in a large group hug. Molly emerged from the kitchen soon after, wiping her hands on a towel as she embraced Arthur.

"What happened? You were gone for hours! W-we feared the worst," she said as the four of us pulled away from the group hug, turning to Arthur.

"Dolores Jane Umbridge happened," Arthur spat. "Spiteful pink toad."

"Arthur!" Molly exclaimed as the rest of us burst into laughter, the joyful sound filling the gloomy hallway. "According to Harry here she seemed to have it out for him and Fudge was furious when Dumbledore suggested You-Know-Who was back."

I nodded, taking in the information. I hadn't known Dolores personally, though I had remembered seeing her sitting at the Slytherin table in my last year, though by that point I didn't spend much time at the Slytherin table.

"Come, it's been a long day and I assume Molly's been cooking all day," Arthur chuckled as Remus, Sirius, and I nodded.

"Comfort food," I explained, a small smile on my lips.

"Ah, yes! Molly and comfort food. What could be better?"

We laughed, making our way into the kitchen to eat before heading to bed after the long day of waiting. What I didn't know was just how bad the Dolores situation would get and just how much she would begin to insert herself in our lives.

***

A few weeks later I was laying in bed, tossing and turning, as I tried to find a comfortable position. There had been no news from Severus and, while I hadn't expected him to write, I was growing worried as to what my father had done once he learned I wasn't living there anymore. As I layed there, lost in my thoughts, I began hearing footsteps heading up the stairs to my room, though I didn't think much of it as people often moved around in the house. It wasn't until I heard my door slowly open that I sat upright, grabbing my wand off the nightstand and aiming at the door.

"Woah, it's just me, love," Remus whispered. I breathed a sigh of relief, lowering my wand.

"Remus!" I whisper-yelled. "What are you doing? You scared me!"

"Sorry, love. Get dressed. I've got a surprise for you." He turned around. "You also may want to brush your hair and teeth." He winked before walking out and standing outside the door.

My brow furrowed in confusion but I got up nonetheless, getting dressed and brushing my teeth, before making my way to the door. I stepped outside, seeing Remus standing outside wearing a large grin as he took my arm.

"Let's go," he whispered.

"Where are we going, Rem?"

"You'll see," he answered, saying nothing more as we stepped out the front door of Grimmauld Place and apparated away.

We arrived at a small cottage, a 'for sale' sign sitting on the front lawn. I turned to Remus, confused as we made our way to the front door.

"This was my old cottage before I moved into Grimmauld Place. I haven't fully closed the deal on it yet so it'll be free tonight."

"Rem, what is going on?"

"You'll see," he said again as he took a key from his pocket and opened the door. We stepped inside the dimly lit cottage and I looked around, seeing nothing. It wasn't until I heard the creaking of a chair in the corner that I finally saw someone. A dark figure stood up, stepping into the light as I finally realized who it was.

"Sev!"