Chapter 81: A United Front

I caught up with Minerva, Pomona, Sybill, and Filius after leaving Umbridge standing there, gobsmacked, though I couldn't get her final words out of my head as I'd headed toward the doors.

"You're on thin ice, Miss Y/l/n. I'd lay low if you want to keep your job."

I'd rolled my eyes before heading inside the castle, not saying anything more but seeing Sybill nearly thrown out was enough to send a rush of fear through me. What if she really did fire me?

We were in Sybill's office, consoling her when I heard a knock on the door. The professor looked around curiously as we could think of no one else who would be outside Sybill's office. Umbridge was highly unlikely to show up after what just occurred and Severus surely wouldn't make an appearance as we were supposed to be broken up. I cautiously moved to the door, opening it and finding Harry standing just outside.

"I- sorry... Aunt Y/n, c-could I speak with you?" The shake in his voice sent a chill down my spine as I knew something had to be wrong.

"Of course." I turned to the others. "I'll be right back."

Minerva nodded, wiping Sybill's tears as I left the room, checking the nearby corridors to ensure no one was near. Most everyone was already downstairs, heading to the Great Hall for dinner.

"What's wrong, Harry?"

"A-at the start of term... you said you hadn't been having any dreams about... Voldemort. I-is that still true?"

"Sort of," I answered. "I haven't been having dreams. It's been more like... visions, I guess you could say."

"While you're asleep?"

"No. It only happens when I'm awake."

"Y-you can see him when you're awake?"

I nodded and he continued.

"C-can you feel his emotions?"

"I don't believe so."

"Oh." He seemed slightly disappointed and I could sense his anxiety rising.

"Harry, what's going on, love?"

"I've been... uhm.... I've been seeing him... in my sleep. When he's happy, I'm happy... when he's angry, I'm angry... and the scar burns." He moved his hair, exposing the lightning bolt scar. I'd never truly stared at it before and I could feel the tears forming behind my eyes as I finally looked at it. This was the result of my best friend's sacrifice. The night she was murdered had left this scar seared into my godson's head... all because of my father. I tried to slow my breathing as I thought of what to say to him.

"Have you spoken to Dumbledore?"

"Yes. He thinks it's because we have some sort of weird... mind connection thing. I just... well I wondered if you'd been dealing with the same thing? Seeing as you had the same dreams as me last year."

"I'm sorry, Harry. I wish I could be of more help but I haven't had any of those kinds of dreams... not since last year. The only thing I've had was a vision right after I saw the boggart and I made Remus swear he wouldn't tell anyone."

"Why?"

"People tend to be afraid when they learn I'm his daughter. I figured it was best not to give them any more reasons to lock me away in Azkaban."

He smiled softly at this, but I could tell he was still distraught.

"You know you can always talk to me about this, right?" I asked him and he nodded.

"No, I know that. I just... well I worry about you too."

"Me?"

Once again he simply nodded.

"I'm fine, Harry."

He raised his brows, skepticism crossing his face.

"I haven't seen you much this year."

"I know, love. Things have just been sort of... busy," I explained, trying to think of a way to best explain what was going on and why I'd been so distant. "Besides, with it being your 5th year and your OWLs approaching... I thought I'd give you space."

He seemed satisfied with this answer and gestured toward the door. "Is she going to be alright?"

"She'll be fine. She's got people around her."

"And you?... Will you be alright? It's just that... I heard what Umbridge said about your job and... I don't want you to get fired. Dumbledore isn't speaking to me. I'm having these insane dreams every night and I feel like... I-. I'm angry all the time... because he's in my head Aunt Y/n. He's there and I can't do anything to stop it."

I wrapped my arms around him, pulling him into a hug. "Listen to me, Harry. Everything's going to be just fine. I'll speak to Dumbledore tonight. In the meantime, eat something and try to get some rest tonight. I'll see what we can do about the dreams, alright?"

He nodded, heading toward the Great Hall for dinner as I reentered the office.

"I suppose we should be heading to the Great Hall," Minerva said to Sybill as I entered.

"Yes, yes!" she quickly agreed. "Please, don't stop your lives on my account. Go! Enjoy the meal!"

"Sybill, aren't you joining us?" Pomona asked.

"No... no, I don't think that would be best," she answered.

"You can't let her get the best of you," Pomona reasoned.

"She's right," I agreed. "The only way Umbridge wins is by thinking she's broken us. We cannot let her think she's won."

"A united front," Minerva agreed, gently taking Sybill by the arm as we left the office, heading to the Great Hall.