Chapter 74: Nothing to Worry About

The next day Severus and I were heading to the Great Hall, the sounds of laughter filling the halls as the excitement of the new year surrounded the students. My heart clenched in my chest as Severus's hand just barely brushed mine, his way of promising things we could never say out loud. My fingers twitched, aching to grasp his hand in mine, no longer caring about Umbridge and her silly little clipboard or the students whose parents may be death eaters and could pass along this information. It was a desperate urge for something that could never be.

"Aunt Y/n!" Harry's voice stopped me, causing Severus and I to turn around. Harry looked up at Severus, his eyes wide as he saw us standing together.

"Uhm... I-." he was stuttering as he looked back and forth.

"I'll just see you in there," Severus said, walking away. We hadn't spoken much about our relationship after we left Albus's office but he hadn't wanted to leave my side since yesterday. It was as if he was afraid I would run away and join the Death Eaters if he wasn't nearby, as if he thought I would slip away from him. I could feel this in the way he'd held me when we'd reached my chambers. I'd offered to let him stay if he wanted and he'd immediately accepted the offer, pulling me inside and holding my body as close to his as possible. Neither of us could bring ourselves to discuss what any of this meant for our relationship. We simply held each other, allowing a comfortable silence to fall over the room.

I snapped out of my thoughts, turning to Harry who had a curious look on his face.

"I thought you two broke up," he said as Severus turned a corner, disappearing from our sight.

"We did."

"What was that, then?"

"What are you talking about, Harry?" I asked, keeping my voice calm.

"Are you two back together?" he asked.

"It's complicated right now, love," I answered. "Anyway, what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, trying to change the subject. I hated lying to him but I knew Harry had no knowledge of Occlumency and if my father were to ever enter his mind all of us would be royally screwed.

"I was just wondering... if you've been having dreams lately?"

"What kind of dreams, Harry?" I asked softly.

"Uhm... a-about Voldemort."

"No, not recently. Why do you ask?"

I could see him contemplating his answer as he thought about the best thing to say.

"I've been having dreams about him... and I-I just wondered... since Sirius told me you'd had similar dreams as mine last year."

"I'm sorry, love... but no... I haven't. Not since last year."

"Oh, o-ok," he answered, his eyes falling to the floor as he studied the tile.

"Harry... I'm here if you ever want to talk about the dreams or... anything. I want you to know that."

"I know," he whispered, looking up at me again. "Thank you." He gave me a soft smile and I hugged him before we left the classroom and headed to the Great Hall, saying nothing else about the dreams, though we both knew this was far from over.

***

I took a seat between Severus and where Minerva would be sitting as the student's chatter filled the hall. The doors opened as the first year's followed Minerva to the front of the hall. She placed the Sorting Hat on the stool as it began singing, though the song seemed different than usual. I turned to Severus who also seemed to notice the change in the lyrics.