Chapter 46: Promises

"I-I'm sorry."

"Shh. No. You have nothing to be sorry for," Narcissa soothed, gently wrapping her arms around me once again.

"I don't hate you. I never did. I just... I couldn't see you without seeing him."

"I understand, love. You don't have to see anyone until you're ready."

I nodded as Severus moved closer to me and Narcissa, placing a hand on my shoulder as I sobbed.

"It's going to be alright, my love. We won't let anything happen to you," Severus assured me, taking me into his arms as Narcissa gently rubbed the back of my head.

"We have you, sweet girl. Nothing will happen to you whilst we are here." Severus carefully lifted me up, cradling my body in his arms as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"I can't be his daughter, Sev... I-I can't."

"I know, baby. I know." He sat us on the couch as Narcissa disappeared, returning a few minutes later with a glass of water.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you I returned to the Dark Lord sooner... I just didn't want you to worry," he murmured as Narcissa handed me the glass of water.

"I best be off. Lucius will get suspicious if I don't return soon." She began heading toward the door before turning around. "And, Y/n... there's no pressure but I know Lucius would like to see you... when you're ready, dear. He's been asking about you and I suppose now it makes sense why we hadn't seen you in so long." She paused for a moment, seeming as if there was something else she wanted to say but was hesitating. "And... your father's been asking about you as well. I'm not sure what to tell either of them but... just take your time, dear."

I nodded, thanking her for her understanding. "Cissy?" I stopped her from leaving once again. "Just tell them I'm okay."

She nodded before turning toward the door and heading down the stairs, disapparating away. Severus looked down at me once we heard the pop that told us she had disapparated.

"I'm sorry," he murmured.

"I know, Sev... I know you are."

"I never wanted to lie to you... I just didn't want you to worry. Narcissa doesn't want this life for you nor do I and we worried that once you knew I was involved... that you'd decide to join. I don't want my choices influencing your decision."

I nodded. "Sev, I need to ask you something... and I need you to promise me you'll answer me honestly. No more lies."

"Anything, my love."

"Are you really working for him... my father, I mean?"

"No! Absolutely not!" He took my hands in his, bringing them to his lips. "You knew Albus was going to make me go back there to spy for him but I would never be one of them again. I left that life behind a long time ago."

I nodded, snuggling against his chest, listening to the sound of his heartbeat which began lulling me to sleep.

"I love you, my princess. I won't let anything happen to you," he whispered, pressing his lips against my forehead as I fell asleep, safe in his arms, having forgotten to take my sleeping draught.