Chapter 41: The Animagus

When we stepped through the fireplace Albus and Minerva were there to greet us.

"You two look exhausted," Albus said, noticing the dark circles under our eyes after the long night of barely any sleep.

Severus looked up, glaring at Albus, giving him a look only they seemed to understand. "Not the time," he hissed, taking my hand and leading us to a chair in the middle of the room. He took a seat, pulling me onto his lap.

"Is everything okay?" Minerva asked, taking a seat across from us.

"Yes, we're fine," Severus answered, gently rubbing the back of my head.

We began speaking about the students' upcoming exams and time quickly passed. Severus never let go of me and we neared the end of our conversation. Lunch time was approaching and we began heading to the Great Hall, passing several students who were getting some last minute studying in before exams would begin this afternoon.

***

Exams went smoothly over the next few days and the end of the semester had finally arrived. The students were milling about in the corridors, saying their final goodbyes before making their way to the train. I was walking through the corridor when I heard Hermione, Ron and Harry calling my name. I made my way toward them and they all ran toward me, embracing me as our laughter filled the corridor.

"How are you?" Hermione asked, taking my hands in hers. "Harry told us what happened." She looked up, her eyes filled with awe as she spoke.

"I'm fine, Hermione, thank you," I chuckled, carefully trying to avoid the topic. I turned to Harry, pulling him into my arms. "I'm so sorry for not coming to see you sooner. Madam Pomfrey wouldn't allow visitors after I woke because my condition got worse and then I had to inform a few people that You-know-who had returned and Severus was worried about me resting and I was worried you might not want to see me and-."

"Woah, Aunt Y/n," Harry chuckled, interrupting my rambling. "It's okay. Madam Pomfrey informed us you weren't allowed visitors. I figured I'd just give you time... and why would I not want to see you?"

"I figured you probably hated me once you..." I lowered my voice, "... found out who I was."

"I could never hate you. We don't choose our parents, Aunt Y/n, and clearly my parents trusted you enough to make you my godmother. I just... thought you might need time to... process everything that happened so when Madam Pomfrey said we couldn't visit until you were better we thought it best to give you time," he said, looking at Hermione and Ron, who nodded in agreement.

"You truly are the best godson I could ever ask for," I said as I felt my eyes begin to warm with tears.

"And you're the best godmother," he answered. I chuckled as he hugged me once again before pulling away and changing the subject.

"How did your exams go?"

The three students began telling me of their exams, Hermione seeming particularly excited about hers. I knew she had probably done great on her exams being the bright student that she is. Ron I worried about but I knew he had Hermione to help him and I wasn't worried about Harry as he was a bright boy as well. They told me about the questions that annoyed them, most of which coming from Professor Snape's class and I chuckled as they criticized his wording of the questions.

"Yes, he has a habit of making his questions difficult," I laughed as we began walking outside.

"Oh! I almost forgot to tell you! She pulled a small jar from her cloak which held a few twigs, leaves, and a small beetle. "Rita Skeeter's an unregistered animagus. I caught her in the Hospital Wing when Harry, Ron, and I went to visit you when you were still asleep. She was trying to get the scoop on what happened that night. She was sitting on the window near your bed when Professor Snape was there. You were asleep and Professor Snape wasn't paying attention so I put her in here. She won't be writing anything for a while," she hissed.

"Sh-she was in the hospital wing?" I asked, nervous as to how long she'd been there.

"Yes, but don't worry. I don't think she was there for very long and besides... if she wants her secret kept I suspect she'll keep any she might've heard," she answered, giving the jar a little shake as she glared inside.

I nodded. "Thank you, Hermione."

She beamed and I couldn't help but chuckle at how proud of herself she seemed at having caught Rita. We stepped out into the warm, summer air, heading toward the train.

"Everything's going to change now, isn't it?" Hermione said.

I turned to her. "Yes, Hermione. I think it just might."