THIRTY-TWO;

It took a moment for Sam to recollect himself, his brother still holding him

It took a moment for Sam to recollect himself, his brother still holding him. He waited until his younger brother pulled away, before doing so himself.

Jake sat quiet, he wanted his brother to speak first, once he calmed down. It took a moment of sniffles and eye wipes before Sam spoke again.

"I'm scared." Was all he said and Jake knew what he meant.

He rubbed his younger brother's back, giving a gentle pat. "Don't worry about telling mom, okay? When you're comfortable and ready, I'll be in your corner, supporting you and cheering you on."

"I know mom loves me, I'm just so scared she's going to have flashbacks from her and dad and that scares me. I don't want her to feel that way and I don't want to see her that way." Sam explained, making Jake nod, showing that he was listening.

Jake paused, trying to think about how to word his thoughts correctly. "I get it, completely, but you have to know people change. This was years ago, I think mom has come to terms with the situation. At that time, it was fresh, painful and raw. She didn't have time to think, she just felt hurt and anger, which led her to having that outburst and screaming nonsense. I think that over the years you have time to reflect and understand. She knows that if she stayed with him, he wouldn't be happy, he would be hiding and no one wants that. Have a talk with her about it, you don't have to come out or confess anything, just ask her how she feels now." Jake explained, making Sam nod his head and lean into his brother's shoulder.

After some time, Sam had fallen asleep, in the comfort of his brother's shoulder. Jake gently removed his brother's head, standing up and grabbing a pillow for the younger to rest on. As he went to grab the blanket, he heard Sam's phone going off. He quickly snatched it up, just wanting to shut off the sound when he saw the caller ID.

BF#2 ❤ Max

He stared at the screen for a moment before turning off the phone so his brother could sleep. Jake shook his head, "Whenever you're ready, I'll listen." He whispered to Sam, but mostly to himself.

Jake was quick to pick up on things and definitely thought it was a bit odd that Max all of a sudden wanted to be at his house more and hung out with Sam a lot, he just respected the boundaries though and never tried to sneak around and find things out.

Eventually, Sam would feel comfortable enough to tell him, even if it meant waiting a year just for him to say he was bisexual, he never wanted to overstep. When their dad left, Sam clung to Jake, being the only male role model left him in charge of helping the other grow up.

Thought their relationship over the years wasn't as strong, Jake would still catch Samuel looking over at him for guidance. He wanted to make Jake proud and he did.

Sam turned into the guy you wish you were friends with. He made you feel welcome and accepted. He knew how to properly communicate his feelings and always took into account how others felt about things. He never made you feel left out or alone, in fact, their mom would constantly come home from open house bragging about how Sam would allows invite others to hang out with him or play a game with him.

Jake patted his brother's head, "You did good, Sammie."

As he walked away, he heard a muffled, "Because you did your best."

"