Chapter Twenty-Six

A few months later..

(Lucy POV)

18th Birthday... 

"Go for it girl!" I cheered at my friend Dina, she was drinking a whole pint down.

We were in a nightclub, partying and drinking to officially crown me as eighteen years old, it was a good night so far.

Today I had topped up my green hair and made it more dark green, I had it straightened and teased. Then I was wearing a short black dress, black fishnet tights, boots and a cardigan. 

"Quick, come and get into this photo girls!" Lisa called, I had brought Lisa along, been as it was a girl's night, and Lisa was the only female close to me.

We all gathered around as the bar tender took a photo of us all, for once I was actually smiling.

I had been going through a stage of depression lately due to the whole Ben situation, but I covered my scars with make-up more and I just decided to be me. I liked being more me, I was actually kind of fun to be around.

A boy called Josh had been speaking to me more at college too, which was nice, he was really good looking and in a band that was just starting out. He was doing music at college though.

I hadn't heard off Ben since he had tried to ring me in college, I was sad really, I maybe would've made it up with him by now if he'd spoken. But he was moving on anyway.

He was already seeing another girl, I had no clue what her name was, but she was pretty and she seemed to make him happy enough, for now that was. 

(Ben POV)

I was sitting down in my bedroom alone, drinking yet again...

After the break up with Lucy I've been completely broken, I haven't bothered to try and ring her or anything, this whole thing. Relationship I have with another girl is all fake. 

I just asked her for that favour, so people wouldn't think I was so alone, but I actually am. I'm slowly drowning in my own mind. 

I rubbed my eyes hard, chucking the empty bottle of vodka to the floor with the others, I leant back on my bed and just looked at the celing.

All of a sudden, I remembered what today was...

I shot up and searched for my phone, I dialed Lucy's number and started ringing her.

(Lucy POV)

"Yeah, it's pretty fucking freezing." I said as I exhaled some smoke.

I was talking to some guy outside the club, as I really needed to smoke.

All of a sudden, my mobile started to ring. 

"Excuse me." I said to the man, so he wouldn't think I was rude.

He nodded as I reached inside my bag to get my phone, without even looking at the caller ID. I picked it up.

"Hello?" I asked, taking another drag of my cig.

"L-Lucy?" I heard someone ask.

I frowned, not knowing who it was, I pulled the phone away from my ear and looked at the screen, to my shock, it was Ben.

"Yeah? Are you okay Ben?" I answered.

I heard him sigh at first, then he finally spoke. "Yeah, well. I don't know. I miss you.." He said.

He sounded so sad, it broke my heart.

"You have a girlfriend Ben, go be happy with her, don't be missing me." I replied awkwardly.

"But, I don't have one, it's fake, she's just someone I know who I asked to pretend for a while." Ben admitted. "I've been wasting my life away over you. I want you so much." 

I frowned, I nodded, I took another drag and spoke. "Yeah, well. I don't know Ben. I really need to go, I'm out at the moment..." I said.

"Oh yes, that's why I rang. To wish you a happy birthday..." Ben said.

I felt my heart sink, Ben had actually remembered my birthday. I was shocked.

"Thank-you Ben. Have a lovely day." I said back.

Ben mumbled something, it didn't sound too good. 

"Well, okay then. I'm going now, bye." I said, just wanting this awkward chat to be over.

"Ok then. Bye bye." Ben said, then he hung up.

I slipped my phone back into my bag and put out my cig. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, not really knowing what to do anymore. I just wanted him to be happy.

-----------------------------

Author Note: 

.....Don't kill me.

I'm sorry I haven't updated in like a week. I've been VERY busy over the week, the teacher's seem to want to bombard me with homework. :(

So yeah, now it's the weekend, which means I can write for you all.

Thanks for the reads, it's appriciated lots. 

- Laura Worsnop