𝓚𝓪𝓫𝓪𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓪 36

"What?"

"Let's get inside first. Your lips are pale."

I was too shock to stop him from pulling me inside. Maingat niya akong hinila patungong living room. Pinaupo niya ako sa sofa.

"Wait here. I'll get you a glass of warm milk."

Pinanood ko siyang tumungo sa kusina. I recalled him serving me a glass of warm milk on cold nights like this before. Hindi ko namalayang napangiti ako.

I was wrong. He didn't change. He's still the Santi I know. Pero siguro may mga nagbago din sa kaniya...like being a father.

He returned and put the glass of milk on the coffee table. Umupo siya sa tabi ko ngunit may malaking distansya sa pagitan namin. It was silent between us for minutes. Biglang nawala ang lakas ng loob kong magtanong. I have a lot of questions but I lost the courage to ask.

"How are you?"

Halos mapatalon pa ako sa gulat nang magsalita siya. I look at him and thank God he's looking at the coffee table. Hindi niya nakita ang pagkabigla ko.

"Uhh...ayos lang naman. Ikaw? Kumusta?" Balik na tanong ko.

Pinaglaruan ko ang kumot habang nag-aantay ng sagot mula sa kaniya. I think he was also lost on his thoughts cause it took him almost a minute to answer.

"I'm fine," he paused. "I think."

He thinks? "You're not sure?"

"You left." He said as if that was the only reason why he wasn't fine for the past years.

It made me feel so guilty.

"But I know it was also my fault. It was too much for you. I understand."

Umiling ako. Things might have gotten easier for us if only I was wiser. If only my decision had not been driven by extreme emotion, maybe we wouldn't get hurt or suffered like this. Nagkulang ako. Parehas kaming nagkamali.

"No. I should've been more patient. I should've trusted you more. I believed you...but I also became doubtful."

"I understand. The DNA was enough proof. It was no doubt that your friend was pregnant with my son. It was normal for you to react like that."

"Still..."

"Maxine. It wasn't your fault."

I felt him move. Tinignan ko siya. He's facing me now. Walang galit o pagtatampo sa mga mata niya. If he was the one who left me, I will be so angry. Kung pagbabaliktarin ang sitwasyon...if I am to get pregnant with another man's child accidentally and without my consent, I may choose to let him go. Pero hindi sa paraang ginawa ko. I will resent him if he left just like I did. Walang paalam at walang pakundangan. Pero hindi siya ganon. He is Santi. He understands... He forgives...

"You said Crystal is gone. How..."

"She didn't survive the surgery. She died after delivering Cohen."

Bumuntong hininga ako. My heart feels heavy. May pagsisisi sa akin dahil hindi ko man lang siya nakita hanggang sa huling hantungan niya. She was my friend. She was dear to me.

"On her death bed, she confessed her crime."

Kumunot ang noo ko.

"Her crime? What did she do?"

He sighed. Sumandal siya sa hand rest ng sofa na nasa likod niya. He looks tired. He lick his lips before he speak.

"She stole my sperm and used it to get pregnant."

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈FLASHBACK┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Third person's point of view