Chapter 16

QUINN

       I was spending so much time with Demetri that is had become a usual for me. And I started to get a strange feeling in my tummy when he smiled at me with that dimple or when we argue over something.
      I was acting like a giddy teenager. I've had crushes before, so I know how I act when I have one. I've had a crush before in Columbia, in Italy, on Zion and on Lucas. Even though Lucas was my proper first boyfriend.

      I always never had time to enjoy life when I was a teen. It was always my family before me. They were and still are priority. I got a breath of fresh air when business started going good and I started dating Lucas. Even then it felt like I was cheating my family. But hadn't I done my part? Couldn't I let loose for a bit?

       "So you seriously have never been to a high school or college football game, where was your teenage hood?" he asked me as he was driving us back from a diner.

      "Uh I spent that period in Italy, we do not have American football, we have football," I stated while sipping my slushy.
        "I've just always had to step-up for as long as I can remember. I'm very much aware there is a gap in my life."

         "Well, it's not too late to have fun," he stated.

      "Yah. I guess," I said flatly.

      "Come on Dee. You're successful and you're 23. It wouldn't hurt to loosen up," he said before looking at me.

       "No, it wouldn't," I said, "eyes on the road."

      "We'll start by not being a buzz kill," he joked while looking back at the road.
      "And you have the privilege of acting like the most childish person you know."

      Rosalina.

       "I am not acting like my 17-year-old sister," I stated.

    "Buzz Kill," he said while slowly down, "look I've seen you try to loosen up.
      That's who I want you to bring out. Not Quinn Divina Montanari, the famous designer. Or the business tycoon with a whole RBF.
      I just want you, my Divina."

     My heartbeat increased at the last past. He wants me. I tried not to look affected.

      I pretended to groan then sighed.
  "Fine."
      He gave me his billion-dollar smile.

      Aircraft was taking off from the airstrip nearby. It was the one I usually used.
      I remembered that my phone was on airplane mode. I really did not want business calls to ruin today. I wanted to spend more time with Demetri. I even made sure to handle everything before I left.

      "The finals are this Saturday, I'd like it if you came," he said.

       I turned to look at him and reply but my phone began buzzing constantly. I turned my attention to my phone.
       Messages and missed calls from Tammy, home in Milan and Lorayne's doctor, hours ago. I was filled with panic.

     "Can you please turn to the airstrip," I told Demetri while reading through the messages.

     He looked confused but did as told.

     We arrived and he parked the car

      "I'm really sorry, I have no time to explain but I have to leave, like now," I said as calmly as I could.

     "Quinn, I can tell you're uneasy, relax," he said while putting his hand on mine

      "I'm really trying to, I'll text you when I get this sorted out," I said and he nodded his head.