Chapter 53

Lavanya’s PoV 

When Xavier and I met for the first time in a cafe near our university, he mistook me for her. I didn't correct him, for obvious reasons, and tested Xavier to see what he thinks about the people around her, to gauge his feelings for her and whether he was trying to scam her or not. I had heard about him from various people including her of course but I didn't want to take any risks. I made it a point to know every single detail about Xavier before she started to date him. 

We both were sitting right in front of the lake.

It took some time but when he yelled my real name, it made me realize that I do have an identity. The one given by my birth parents. The one that was snatched from me before my brain could remember this identity of mine.

Or maybe my brain did remember it... it was just hidden in some corner of my brain, to avoid the pain that was inflicted on me when I cried in front of people about what Max and Remy did.

"Are you feeling alright?" I nodded when Xavier asked and rested my chin on my knees, wrapping them in an attempt to hug myself.

"You still believe I was the reason she died?" He knew who I was talking about. After all, there was only one guilt in my mind, Her death. His fiancé.. my best friend-

"Her death wasn't on your hands. I.. I have seen the pain you were in after... it was wrong of me to accuse you, when you were the victim along with her."

"It wasn't wrong of you." I said, removing the tear at the corner of my left eye. "She was your fiancé, the mother of your child.. my one stupid and childish decision blew up your dreams of being together."

He sighed and made me turn towards him. "Death is an inevitable part of life. If not 8 years ago, then maybe this year would have been my and her last year together or we could have been somewhere around our 60s or 80s when death would have parted us. My point is, we would have been separated at one point of this life... it was just a little too early for me and her."

"But-" 

I was about to say when he pushed his index finger against his lips, "Shhh! I won't hear a fucking thing from you." He took a deep breath and continued.

"New beginning is the only way. You have to leave all this behind or else you would be drowned in guilt forever. Leave this identity as Mac behind and start new. Start from scratch with your birth identity."

"I'm so close to finding the family who murdered her-" 

"What would you do if it's because of these DeLuca's that she got killed?" I think the anger was clear as day on my face because he surrendered his hands in the air and continued;

"What I mean is, what if it was some Mafia who had a hand in this? Since their all ties trace back to DeLuca Mafia, that means there is definitely a deep connection between those two and the underworld, especially the DeLucas. Do you really want to risk everything to make those two pay?"

I pushed him away from me and stood up, "Of course I will! I didn't gather the intel all these years to let it go down in the drain. After getting so close, how can you expect me to leave them just like that!"

"You are not thinking clearly, damnit!" I chuckled bitterly when he said that. We were snapping at each other in a low tone till now but now I was losing my control over keeping my voice a whisper.

"My whole childhood and teenage life was stolen from me... My identity was stolen from me, those who fucking did that, they didnt even hesitate before stabbing me several times and then pushing me off the cliff in an unknown country and because of that my brain and memories are messed up.. I was finally having some peace in my life I was going to have a career, a family, a life far away from all that bullshit when they drew the last fucking straw... All of that was thrown in flames and burned down to ashes when they murdered her in an attempt to MURDER ME! EXCUSE ME IF I LOST THE ABILITY TO FUCKING THINK!" By the time I said the last two lines, I was yelling.