9

~ Isabelle ~

~ Isabelle ~

" Miss. Hart you're 15 minutes late." Mrs. Carmen says, a disappointed look on her face as I rush into the kitchen with my uniform on.

She'd told me to meet her here before starting on the bedrooms to tell me something.

" I apologize Mrs. Carmen, one of my teachers had to talk to me after class." I mumble, my fingers intertwined with each other nervously. I hated that I had to lie to her, but if she found out the real reason why I was late I wouldn't be surprised if I'd get fired on the spot.

" I want you to help serve drinks during dinner tonight at 7pm. Make sure the bedrooms are cleaned as well before your shift ends as always." She says as she inspects the maids and chefs who were preparing dinner.

I felt nauseous at the thought alone, but all I could do was agree to Mrs. Carmen's orders.

I had a couple hours left before dinner, so I decide to clean Cadens room first since I was positive he wasn't home.

The entire time I was cleaning his room that seemed almost as dark as his soul I felt the nerves rush into my skin.

Why would he think I was a spy? What was he doing out there for it to be so bad for him to get caught? Maybe he just didn't want his parents to know...

Relief fills my body when I finish the room, and I check the time that read 6:45.

Grabbing all of my supplies I rush down the stairs, putting everything back into the cleaning closet before walking into the kitchen that had been swarmed with maids rushing back and forth trying to finalize dinner.

" All you're going to do is bring out the drinks, it shouldn't be too difficult. Don't drop anything." Mrs. Carmen scrambles out as she runs around the entire kitchen making sure everything was perfect.

" Y..yes ma'am." I say, stumbling back a little when a maid shoves a tray with an expensive looking bottle of wine into my hand and a pitcher of lemon water.

I steady my hands, taking in a deep breath as I look over at Mrs. Carmen confused.

" Go on! What are you doing staring at me." Mrs. Carmen shoos me away and I quickly nod my head, walking as steady as I could towards the door that lead to the dining hall.

I felt the nerves rack up in my body when I opened the door, revealing a large, nicely lit dining room with a grand table in the center.

A gorgeous woman with long brown hair sat next to a man who had been smiling at something she'd said.

That must be Mr. and Mrs. Agosti.

Ace sat one seat across from them, listening to his mother. Caden was nowhere in sight, not surprisingly.

I could see the soft gaze in Mrs. Agostis eyes resembling Ace's, although they were different in color. He had the same thick hair as Mr. Agosti, I figured the same height too.

It was even more obvious the resemblance of Caden's brooding eyes to his fathers, and the dark hair of course.

I wondered how Mr and Mrs. Agosti met, considering her timid appearance compared to Mr. Agosti's intimidating one.

As I reach the table I could feel Ace's eyes on me, and for some reason I look back over at him, instantly falling into his dazzling blue eyes that seemed like a calm ocean every time I'd look at its soft yet deep colors.

He gives me a small smile, and for once I smile back before starting to pour the drinks into the glasses.

" Ace, where is your brother? How many times is he going to miss dinner?" Mrs. Agosti says, worry laced in her soft voice.

" I'm not sure, it's not like he talks to us anyways." Ace shrugs, picking at the food on his plate.

" I just wish he'd tell me what's wrong. I've been trying to talk to him for years but he shuts me out every time." Mrs. Agosti frowns. I could see the sadness filled in her eyes.

It was the kind of sadness you'd only see in a mother. The kind where her children's pain affected her more then any pain ever could in the world.

The same one my own mother had for me before my fathers death.

I try ignoring the rush of pain that felt like needles in my heart. The thought of my parents always just brought me sadness.

I wanted them back. I just wanted it to be normal, my normal, the normal where I was just an innocent little girl crying over my ice cream melting, the normal where I went on walks with my mom and dad during hot summers around our neighborhood.

I just didn't understand it. I didn't understand how Caden just shut his family out. They were right in front of his face, close enough to hug, to talk to, to make memories with, yet he only closed himself off.

Time is cruel, and no one lasts forever. Did he not realize how it was affecting his parents? His own brother?

Their voices get quieter as I'm walking away with the now half empty drink bottles, my mind swirling with questions that are none of my business to be thinking about in the first place.

The rest of the dinner all I had done was refill everyone's drinks when they'd gotten low. I nearly fell asleep at one point until Mrs. Carmen snapped her finger in front of my face, which woke me up instantly.

Once it finally ended I quickly cleaned up my stuff before going back to the cleaning closet so I could finish the rest of the rooms.

I'm not sure what time it was, I only knew it was late at night as I was finishing up the rooms when the sound of the front door opening echoed throughout the quiet halls.

I heard a woman sobbing shortly after, and like the nosy person I was I hide in a corner, trying to see what was going on.

" Caden stop doing this, what's going on? You can't just come home beat up and expect me to ignore it!" Mrs. Agostis voice cries in pain as she holds onto her sons arm.

Her voice was shaky, I could tell she was trying her best to hold back tears, to sound strong enough in front of her son.

I couldn't really see in the dark too well, but I could make out the dark spots where there was blood on his face.

Her body was so tiny compared to his tall figure as she tried to stop him from walking away.

" Mom, drop it. I'm alive alright?" He grumbles, looking down at his mother.

I felt bad for her. I couldn't imagine what it'd feel like seeing your child like that, seeing them shut themselves away from everyone and not knowing why.

"You know you can trust me with anything Caden, I'll always be here for you just please don't worry me like this." She cries, slowly wiping the blood off of his face with a towel.

" Yeah, I know." Is all he says as he lets his mother clean the blood, but his voice sounded emotionless, empty, cold.

"What are you doing?" I nearly have a heart attack at the sudden voice behind me. I turn around, feeling my breath hitch as Ace stood in front me, his hands in his pockets as he looks down at me confused.

~~~