22

~ Isabelle ~

~ Isabelle ~

" Fine."

I turn back around, my eyes wide in shock as I look back at him.

" T..thank you I really appreciate i–"

" Aren't you going to come in?" He asks impatiently, cutting me off. I look over at the door, feeling my nerves spike at the thought of being in a guys room so late at night.

" M..maybe we should just do it in the library." I say, hoping he'd agree. The Agosti estate had their own library in the house, and it was ginormous. The place looked like it'd cost millions to build, which I'm sure was nothing to them.

Caden sighs, walking out of the doorframe as he closes the door behind him and walks ahead towards the library on the top floor.

I try catching up as I walk faster, but his long legs make it hard for me and I feel myself start to lose my breath at the fast pace. I notice him start to walk slower, feeling relieved as I finally catch up and walk by his side, trying to catch my breath.

I could feel his eyes on me as we silently walked, but I pay no mind to it as we reach the library doors. Caden opens it, and I follow behind him as he walks towards a table surrounded by book shelves that towered over each other.

The library was lit up by multiple lanterns in every little spot, and there was a huge fireplace pushed against one wall that only made the place cozier looking.

I get excited as we sit down at the table, not being used to actually using the library since all I could do was clean it.

" I..it's so pretty in here I love it." I practically mumble to myself as I take my time to look at all the shelves lined with books from my seat.

" It's a fucking library." Caden scoffs, leaning back in his chair as he scrolls on his phone.

I sigh at his response, opening my folder up as I take out the instruction sheet, two sheets of paper, and pencils.

" I...it's not too hard of a project, we just need to make a short autobiography of each other by asking three questions each and getting as much information from the answers as we can." I say, sliding a sheet of paper and pencil over to his side.

" That sounds stupid." He grumbles, watching me as I silently read over the instructions again.

" W..well Mr. Silas said it's because when you collect information about the past you sometimes only get such a limited amount of information so he wants us to see how much we c–"

" Shut up."

I purse my lips together before putting down the instruction sheet. I had already planned out the questions I wanted to ask him and only hoped he would answer seriously.

" F...fine you go first." I say, too scared to start.

" What was your life like growing up?" He asks after a short moment of silence, and I look up at him, my eyebrows furrowed as I think of a way to answer the question.

It's only then that I realize how terrible it was for me, how there was nothing good to say, and I hated that. I hated that I'd have to tell him about a life I only wanted to completely forget about.

" C...can't you ask a different one?" I whisper, avoiding his eyes.

" No." is all he replies with and I swallow the lump in my throat as I play with my fingers.

" W...well I had a dad and mom, who used to love me very much, a...and I went to Riverford schools, the kids weren't really nice...I...in Highschool I just lived on my own until now and that's really all." I ramble on as quickly as I can, hoping the speed in which I talked made him not hear a thing.

I bite my lip nervously as I look up, only to see him leaned back in his chair and watching me carefully, no emotion in his face.

" Y...you have to write the answers down for points." I mutter, staring at his empty paper.

" I'll remember." Is all he says, still looking at me. I shuffle in my seat nervously as I clear my throat.

" Who do you look up to?" I say for my question all of a sudden, wanting to switch up the topic. I look back at Caden, watching as he spins a blade around his fingers effortlessly.

" My dad." Is all he replies with which isn't very informative of an answer to turn in.

" W..why your dad?" I ask. To be honest I was genuinely curious since his dad was so terrifying. I wondered what there really was to look up to.

" He's good at his job." He says and I furrow my brows together. Were all his responses going to be this short?

" W...what kind of job?" I continue, hoping to get more out of him.

Cadens eyes find mine, his tongue poking the side of his cheek as he watches me carefully. " One with lots of power involved." He says, and I tighten my grip on my pencil nervously as I move my eyes away from him and back onto the paper.

What's that supposed to even mean? Was his dad some sort of a gangster? A drug dealer?

I feel my body stiffen in my chair as I hear Caden move closer to me next to the table. His presence alone made me feel even more nervous as his shoulder brushed against mine. I could feel my heart pounding against my chest as I continued to write down the answer.

" What's with the ancient phone?" He suddenly says, grabbing my phone from the table. I widen my eyes as I try grabbing the phone back but he keeps swerving around my hand.

" G...give it back its not ancient." I say, reaching for it again but it's no use. He starts to type something in and I reach for it once more, this time accidentally tripping over my own foot and landing on top of him on the chair.

I feel my cheeks flush red at the distance, my lips parted in shock as I watch Caden only look at me, his eyes moving down to my lips for a moment.

I could feel his chest against mine, and hear his heart rate speed up just as much as mine was. It's the only sign of living I'd really seen in him, he'd always looked so emotionless.

I'd never seen him this close up, and I'd never noticed the small scars on his face from cuts, not including the fresh one still on his face. I wondered why he'd get into so many fights, it's not like it helped him in any way.

" What are you two doing in here?" A familiar voice sounds from the door of the library and I turn my head as I watch Ace standing there, a dark look in his eyes as he looks between us.

****