33

^ Ace

^ Ace

~ Isabelle ~

The day went by quicker then I thought it would. It was nearly ten and I was on duty to clean the dishes from dinner.

I sigh as I scrub the plate clean, moving my elbow up to push away the piece of hair falling onto my face.

The kitchen was silent. All the other maids were finishing up cleaning other rooms while I was on dish duty.

I hadn't run into Ace all day. It felt like I hadn't seen him for weeks even though it really wasn't that long.

I would be lying if I said I didn't want to talk to Ace. Somehow I always enjoyed his presence, his smile, his eyes.

He made me feel normal.

I didn't know how I felt about him though. If it weren't for Caden confusing me I would've thought I had a crush on Ace.

I knew I didn't like Caden, I knew he would be the last person I'd ever have a crush on but he made me feel odd.

He brought a weird feeling to my stomach, he made my heart race more then anyone's ever done, he made my head go crazy, like I was on some sort of drug.

I didn't want any of it. I wanted to get rid of it, but I couldn't control it. It's like my body took complete control of me every time he was around.

Why couldn't it just be simple? Why did Caden have to come in and make things so complicated?

I scream when I suddenly feel a hand tap my shoulder. My head turns to the side, ready to face whatever monster was coming my way with the pan in my hand.

" Did I scare you?" Ace laughs, looking down at the pan held tightly In my hand.

I widen my eyes, feeling my face flush red in embarrassment.

I couldn't help but take in his blonde hair pushed back, grey hoodie, and smile that reached his eyes as he laughed.

" Sorry, I thought you were a...monster." I clear my throat, too embarrassed to look him in the eyes.

Ace looks at me with a raised eyebrow before his gaze trails down under my eye. His eyebrows scrunch together as he straightens up before walking closer to me.

The smile was completely off his face now as he took a closer look at the bruise.

" Your eye, why is it all bruised?" Ace asks, moving his gaze back up to mine for an answer.

" I...I..an accident that's what...it was." I breathe out, my hands gripping the pan tighter when I realize how close he'd now been to me.

" Accident? What kind of accident?" He frowns. I look up at Ace, getting trapped in his blue eyes as I try to figure out an excuse.

Which seemed impossible for my brain with Ace being so close to me.

" While I was cleaning, it was stupid really." I shrug, taking a step back with whatever space I had between me and the sink.

" Cleaning huh?" He asks, his voice sounding different this time as he moves his gaze from my bruise to my eyes.

" Y..yeah." I reply, watching as his eyes flicker down to my lips. I could feel my heart racing in confusion, wondering what was going on.

" Can I tell you something?" He says all of a sudden, moving closer to me.

" S...sure." I breathe out nervously. How did I end up in this situation with Caden and now Ace?

This time oddly, it felt right.

It felt real. With Caden, it only felt like he was messing me with me, like none of it was actually real.

I guess I was just confused.

But did I want it to feel real with Caden?

The sound of glass breaking suddenly stops Ace from moving any closer to me as we both turn our heads toward the noise.

I watch in confusion as Caden stands there with a shattered plate scattered around his shoes.

Caden's eyes were dark as he looked between us, his jaw clenched.

" Clean it up." Caden grits out, moving his eyes towards me.

I swallow the lump in my throat nervously before starting to walk towards the mess. The look in his eyes made me too afraid to say no, so the only other option was to listen.

I don't make it any farther when Ace's hand suddenly grabs my arm, stopping me from moving any closer.

" She's not your slave, do it yourself." Ace says, his voice calm. Caden's jaw ticks as he looks down at Ace's hand still on my arm.

The tension in the room only grows as I stand there in between them. I just wanted to walk away and stay out of whatever was going on between them.

I drop my head down as I look at my shoes, feeling uncomfortable.

" I...I need to get back to work." I mumble under my breath, gently pulling my hand out of Ace's hold.

I walk as quickly as I can away from them, not even caring about the couple dishes left in the sink to clean.

I'll do them after they leave.

For a moment it seemed like Caden had been jealous, but I had no hope he was even capable of having that much feeling.

I let out a breath of relief when I feel like I'm far enough. I didn't want to be put in a situation between both of them ever again.

Every time I see Caden and Ace in a room together it feels as if a fight is going to break out any second.

They needed to be forced to like each other for at least a day. They needed to at least talk to each other, and not with threatening words.

It seemed impossible though. I wonder how stressed it all made Mrs. Agosti, especially with one of her sons barely ever talking to her.

It made me wonder why Caden talked to me so much. I'd never seen him talk much to anyone else.

No one in school even had the guts to try to be friends with Caden, and even if they tried he'd probably publicly embarrass them.

But Caden talks to me of everyone

Well, maybe not in the nicest way but it was still something.

Did that mean we were friends?

I laugh as I sweep the floor, feeling insane. The word Caden and friends didn't mix too well. He looked like he hated everyone.

And I don't think friends kissed.

The way he looked at me didn't seem like a friend look either, or the tension every time we were near each other.

Maybe I was just being delusional.

***

Anyone else excited for the birthday chapter? A lot will be revealed in that chapter 👀👀 And a lot will happen ;)