52

~ Isabelle ~

~ Isabelle ~

I nervously chew the inside of my lips as I look down at the text I sent Charlotte, asking her where she was. Did they leave the venue already?

After another while of searching and failing, I give up. The venue was nearly empty at this point and people were getting kicked out for clean up.

I'm silent the entire drive back to the estate, Caden's dark gaze set on the road in front of him. My eyes however are glued to my phone, waiting on Charlotte to answer.

I nearly jump from my seat when Charlotte finally answers the phone, but it only makes my heart nearly stop.

char💓: We left a bit ago, Ace saw you and Caden in the hallway. What's going on?

My fingers hover over my lit up phone, too shocked to even think of an answer. I try my best to push away my shock, knowing all of this was my fault.

I'm not sure how I'd explain it to Ace, but I had to. I never told him I liked him in that way, but I still felt like I just committed a crime.

Even thinking of Ace never wanting to talk to me again hurt my heart. I felt like a terrible person, even though in the end, I was just confused over feelings I'd never experienced before.

I text back Charlotte, explaining everything I was the problem for in one paragraph. Somewhere in those lines, I told her I never meant for this to happen, I never confessed to either of them. I explained that I was confused, and didn't mean to lead anyone on.

All my life, it was only ever me and my parents. When they left it was just me. I didn't know about any of this, but I knew Ace liked me still. Did I know what to do about that? No. How would I know what to do? I didn't want to stop talking to him, I didn't want to tell him I don't like him back if all I was in the end was confused.

Charlotte doesn't answer for a while, but when my ringer suddenly goes off I jump, looking down at the multiple messages coming in at once.

char💓: Isabelle, it's okay. Boys are STUPID. Both of them were going for you, you didn't confess to either of them, they shouldn't have to expect anything from you. It's okay to be confused, you're not used to this don't beat yourself up over it.

char💓: Ace will get over it at one point, but you were never the problem. It's not your fault they kept trying to get your attention, it's not like you could pick both anyways.

char💓: Plus, Ace is slow. Even I could tell something was up with you and Caden. I would explain it all to Ace though, it seems like you've seriously fallen for Caden.

I carefully read over her messages, furrowing my eyebrows at the last words she typed out.

Fallen for Caden?

My eyes slowly move over to Caden, and when he turns his head, catching my eyes in the small bit of moonlight that shone through the car I quickly turn my head back down to my phone.