War Against Ourselves Ch.17

Nathan Lancer

The Academy has been shut down again due to more kin being slaughtered in the dead of night. I wasn't present at the scene of the crime, but I heard it was grisly and gory. Whoever was the cause of this was going to pay with their lives; I intend to personally see to that myself.

However, today I was in the Hospital. I was there to check up on the fellow kin whom I unintentionally hurt. (Chapter). He has been out of commission for a few days and officials have no idea if he was going to wake up or not. Furthermore, the truth that I sought was closer than I realized.

In this hospital, there was the victim who survived the attack of the killer. It was a United Nation official, and I received word from the Captain Kreggor that they were conducting a report with the individual now. I wasn't allowed to engage the man, but with time, I'll make sure I get a word with him.

I exited the patient's room to see Kristy and Hunter was sitting in available chairs close to the entrance. They were obviously waiting for word from Kreggor. When I approached the couple, Hunter risen from his seat with an expression of concern on his face. "Is he still not awake?"

I shook my head, "No, he hasn't. Perhaps, I really did kill him?"

"Don't talk like that, Nathan," Kristy abruptly jumps up. "Just give it a little more time and try to have faith."

"You're right," I tried to keep my mentality from shattering.

"Nathan." Someone called my name.

I turned around at the sound. Standing in the way of me and my brethren was a man of the Council. A fellow friend, as much as I would like not to refer him as, Captain Kreggor in the flesh. He was a tall, muscular warrior with short curly black hair and the sides of his head was shaved off. His uniform was a button-down charcoal suit and cleanly iron dress pants. Beside his distinguishable features, he looked young and filled with confident.

Heads continued to turn since this is one of the rarest times where a councilman would present himself to the public. Kreggor's piercing jaded eyes scanned each of us before speaking in a monotone manner, "Good to see that you all are here on time." He smiles at the end of his sentence.

Kreggor raises his hand to shake mine, and I completed the gesture respectfully. "We couldn't miss out on such valuable information, that I'm certainly ready to hear." My patience was growing thin.

"Turns out, we have two new leads." Kreggor says gesturing for us to follow him outside.

I'm guessing he didn't want people to hear the conversation, so this is for the change of location. Kreggor continued to lead the way and then resumes his previous statement. "The first lead came from a United Nation individual name Allan Ark; his father is the army commander, Mr. Reginald Ark II."

"Lord Reginald?" Hunter sounded in disbelief.

"Yes, it's him and the son has brought to our attention that the killer could supposedly be a participant in the obstacle course." Kreggor throws a quick glance at me. "He sounded certain that that was the case."

"Did he say specifically who?"

"This is where things get tricky; Allan Ark claims that he believes that the killer is a male, but the victim says he remember seeing a woman attacker."

"So, who do we believe?" Kristy asked.

"We have to take what both sides said into account, since this is the only leads available."

I interrupted him, "Are you planning on rounding up the contestants and figuring out which one of them is the culprit?"

"If that is what we must do then yes, I will." Kreggor replies harshly.