2

Emory

"Stop staring at me"

"Well...you're baking and that's not good" Xander shrugs as he leans against my fridge, scarfing down a bag of chips.

"Seriously, who are you baking for? Where's all of this going to go? A village of children?" He asks, gesturing to the various baked treats scattered across my kitchen.

We got back to my apartment a few hours ago and I didn't say a word. I just grabbed my apron and started my process. I chugged my coffee and just got to work. I couldn't talk about it yet and Xander knows that, which is why he's just standing there watching me.

I'm a stress baker. I watched a bunch of baking shows when I was younger and tried a few recipes here and there, finding comfort in the entire process. So much so that I do it whenever I'm freaking out about something. It's my biggest give away.

"Well, you could have stopped me" I grumble, frosting a batch of cupcakes I've been letting cool down.

"And risk a finger? I'm okay" he shrugs making me snort.

"So...who the hell is this Adrian guy?" Xander finally asks, probably at his limit with his own patience.

I let out a sigh, set the frosting down and straighten up to face him. One hand is flat on the counter while my other hand tucks away any stray hairs before resting on my hip.

"He's Grayson's best friend" I answer.

"All of that for your brothers friend? Here I thought you had some sick fuck of an ex-boyfriend!" Xander rolls his eyes because he's such a gossip queen.

"He's Gray's best friend who hates me" I elaborate, earning a much more impressed look from him.

"Now that's better!" He grins, shoveling some more chips into his mouth like the child he is.

"So, start from the beginning, why does he hate you?" Xander asks and tries to reach for a cupcake making me swat his hand away.

"Don't know" I shrug, resuming my frosting process.

"Bullshit"

"It's true" I laugh.

"Then how do you know he hates you? Did he declare your head on a steak? Did he shout it from a rooftop? Did he write a letter? This is the most interesting thing I've ever heard about you and as your best friend it's only right I'm aware of all interesting aspects of your life" Xander babbles.

"Not everyone is as imaginative as you, Alexander, so no, he didn't do any of those things. And no, it isn't right because it's none of your business and you're being a prick" I scoff.

"Are you telling me that you keep things from me?"

"Absolutely I do" I tell him without hesitation.

I don't but I like bugging him.

"What kind of friendship is this?!" He gasps and I can't even fight the laugh.

He really can make light of any situation and I'm very grateful for him.

I'd met Xander at work. We were the only twenty-something year olds in a warehouse full of older folks. Granted, Xander being Xander, he tried flirting with me the first few months of knowing him. Then, one night, I thought 'fuck it, he's cute' and we kissed.