44

Emory

Adrian hasn't left my side once today. I'm surprised he's even allowed me to use the bathroom alone.

It's sweet. I adore him for being so tender and careful with me and my mother but I'm also scared shitless because the inevitable is happening and it's happening fast.

I'm falling for him. Hard.

Don't kid yourself. It's happened already. You feel a long ass time ago.

Adrian had to explain to my mother our situation because I couldn't do it. So much for keeping it a secret. She was pretty supportive about it with the usual warning about us being careful and whatnot, but overall she was happy for us.

I remember what Wes said about the way Adrian looks at me and then I remember the gut wrenching feeling I had when I turned to see him on his knees for me, aching like he felt my pain, taking it on for himself.

Yeah, I didn't have a choice, I was meant to fall for the man.

As I finish the last of the dishes from the dinner mom made, a pair of arms snake around my waist, his face nuzzling into my neck.

"I said I'd do those" he murmurs against my skin and making me shiver.

"I needed to do something, I feel like I'm going insane" I mumble, reaching for a dish towel to dry my hands and leaning into him.

I hate being catered to, especially when I'm in this state of mind. I feel useless and weak and even though I want to whither away on my own, I don't want anyone to feel like they should whither away with me.

I turn in his arms, catching those sad green jewels of his and raking my fingers through his hair.

"We're terrible at this secret thing" I smile softly and he lets out a breathy laugh, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"Yeah, we suck" he agrees and it makes me crack a chuckle. The first real one in days. Only he could do that for me and Christ, do I adore this man.

"Mom took it well" I shrug.

"She threatened to bury me in the back yard and disown me if I fucked this up" he whispers and it makes me let out a real laugh, the sound surprising me as I bring a hand to my mouth to stifle it.

"God, I've been working my ass off to hear that sound again and it's my death you find entertaining?" He shakes his head.

I'm grinning now and then I raise to my tip toes to kiss him because I missed kissing him. I miss him.

Adrian groans into my mouth, one hand sliding around the nape of my neck while the other splays across my ass and tugs me closer. He's trying to avoid touching my back and the thought only makes me kiss him harder.

His tongue dominates my mouth and it draws a whimper from me, him being the first to pull away. His hair is a mess and eyes glazed and he's never looked so good.

Okay, he has, but his good looks seem to catch me off guard the more I get to look at him.

"Baby, as much as I'd like to spread you across this counter and have you for dessert, your mother is within the vicinity, no doubt wondering what's taking us so long" he whispers, his words sending a shiver down my spine.