21

Emory

I loved our backyard growing up. I loved playing out here, I loved bringing my books out here, I loved the snowball fights in the winter and I loved when my siblings and I would mess with the water hose during the summers. So, when Grayson added a hammock, I was a goner.

My most cherished memories are in this back yard.

My legs hang off the side of the hammock as I swing back and forth, not even minding the cold air as I gape up at the sky, a few stars peeking out as it gets later.

How can you not love something so peaceful?

It's the only place where I enjoy the quiet and allow my thoughts to flood my head. Right now they're all over the place.

I'm thinking about my nephew and how I might love him more than I expected. I'm thinking about Xander finally meeting my family. I'm thinking about Grayson and how he must be feeling about being a father all of a sudden. Addie and her party. Adrian.

Everything I don't allow myself to think about any other time.

Goosebumps suddenly rise on my skin and I sense him before seeing him. You know, the usual, because we're weird like that and I don't give him my eyes.

Not yet.

I'm discovering that Adrian is a very mixed feelings kind of guy.

I've watched him flirt with women he's attracted to, be best friends with my brother, make Addie swoon with just a smile and light up a whole goddamn room. He comes off as a straightforward kind of guy.

I don't buy it.

I'm discovering that he's very hot and cold. I can't ever tell where I am with him. One moment we're screaming at one another and the next he's holding me while I sob over my daddy issues. Sometimes he's flashing me smirks and mouthing his greetings to me and then he's angry and wanting to tear me a new one for just breathing around him.

And here I am, developing a stupid school girl crush on him despite all of that. Or because of all of that. I'm not sure anymore.

Maybe I'm insane.

I tense up when I feel the hammock sink beside me, causing me to slide a bit due to his weight and I'm now completely pressed up against him.

"What are you thinking about?" He asks and I meet his gaze, for a quick moment because it still makes me nervous and then look away again.

"What?" I heard him but I'm really wondering why he cares.

"What's going on in there?" He raises an arm to tap my temple and my instinct to swat his hand away kicks in.

"You" I answer honestly because lying does no good around him.

Adrian's the only person who can spot my lies no matter how thorough and thought out they are.

He always knows.

"And?" He urges and I quirk an eyebrow up at him.

"And you're being nosy now" I hold my chin up in defiance making his lips tug at the corners.

"You're such a brat" he grumbles and leans back, the hammock swinging, both of us looking up at the sky. I have to bite back the smile threatening to form on my lips and hope he doesn't look at me.